Fruit Flavored Water


I really make an effort each day to drink 6 to 8 glasses of water. Some days are better than others. I drink a couple of cups of coffee in the morning and then switch to water. I don’t drink soda pop or other types of beverages, I just drink water. And it gets boring at times! And a struggle to drink it all down. The last couple of weeks I have seen a great idea floating around in several places on the internet. It is for making your own healthy fruit flavored water. So I gave it a try this week. And I LOVE it!! It is easy to make and most of all is so very healthy!

Basically it is simply adding fresh fruit to water and the fruit gives your water just a slight hint of that fruit flavor. You can add any kind of fruit you want. The first time I made it I made 3 batches. I used 2 quart canning jars (juice pitchers work too, but canning jars are more abundant in my house :). I made lime water, cantaloupe water and strawberry water….




For the lime water I cut up one lime and put it in the jar, added some ice and filled it with water. I liked this one a lot at first. But found the longer the lime sits in the jar the more bitter the taste of water becomes. I think if I try this one again I will cut away as much of the rind as possible as this, I believe, is what gives it the bitter taste.

For the cantaloupe water I cut up about ¼ (or maybe a little less) of a cantaloupe (no rind) and added it to the 2qt jar along with ice and water. I liked this one a lot!! It tasted good. Cantaloupe is a mild flavor and the longer it can sit in the jar the better it tastes.

The last one was strawberry water…. So good! This was my favorite. I sliced 4 strawberries and did the same procedure (ice and water, let it sit for a bit)… This was the first one gone as my daughters also liked and we drank it up pretty fast.

Today I made 2 more batches. One was strawberry again and the other grape.




The grape was very good too!! I used a small handful of grapes and cut them half, followed the same procedure above.

So if you want to add a little twist to your daily drinking water this summer then consider making some fruit flavored water! It is easy, inexpensive and good for you!! And it can help add a little variety to help you drink your daily dose of water!



 

Comments

  1. I have seen this idea and tried it with pineapple and mint - quite refreshing! I am definately going to try the strawberry one - it sounds so refreshing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohhh.. the pineapple mint sounds wonderful!! I plan to try watermelon this week too.. So many possibilities! :)

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this idea. Like you, I drink a couple cups of coffee early and then not much else. I need to drink water and this might really help me do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has really helped me to drink the water!! :)

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  3. I love this idea! My kids are constantly complaining there's nothing to drink even with tea, koolaid and water and flavor packets galore. I think they'd love this so much, and I know I would. I'm totally stocking up on fruit at the store tomorrow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to do herbs in my water occasionally. I like water and drink lots of it, but in summer when more is needed I find that it begins to pall. Peppermint or Spearmint is really good. I have basil and rosemary I mean to try as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice!! Love the idea of adding herbs.. Thanks for sharing!! :)

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  5. I do this all the time. One of my faves is strawberry and lime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many great ideas shared!! I am going to try strawberry and lime! Thank you! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub