Creamy Onion Soup

I had a request for the Creamy Onion Soup recipe that I mentioned Emily made last night.  She is turning out to be a great little cook!!  I am very proud of her kitchen skills. This is one recipe she makes frequently with me and Tobin in mind because she knows how much we both like onions. 


 


Creamy Onion Soup


Emily Miller


 


3 medium sized onions, any kind but the sweet onions are my favorite for this soup


7 cups water, divided


4 chicken bullion cubes or broth powder equivalent


2 cups whole milk (you can use 2% I am sure but we always use/have whole milk)


1 T cane juice crystals


1 t salt, more or less to taste


½ to ¾ t pepper


¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour


1 cup shredded cheese, any kind


 


Cut onions into slices and then cut those slices in quarters and set aside.  In a good sized soup pot combine 6 cups water, chicken bullion cubes or powder and the onion slices.  Bring this all to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.  When the simmering time is finished, turn burner off and add milk, cane juice crystals, salt and pepper.


 


In a canning jar with a tight fitting lid combine the reserved cup of water and the whole wheat pastry flour.  With the lid on, shake the jar well to combine flour and water and break up any lumps. 


 


Add the water/flour mixture to the soup pot with a wire whisk.  Turn the heat on high and stir well until the soup boils and begins to thicken.  Reduce the heat and let simmer on low for 15 minutes to blend flavors. 


 


Sprinkle cheese on the top of the soup and stir that in just before serving.

Comments

  1. Crystal, this sounds SOOO good. I remember several years ago I went to the Outback and I ordered the Walkabout soup and this sounds very similar. I can't wait to try it!!! Thanks for the recipe! My mouth is watering! :)

    Blessings,

    Chas

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub