Grocery Haul for Two and Homemade Pizza





This will be the smallest grocery haul ever. Tobin and I are heading off for a little road trip and we only bought what was needed to get us through until we leave.

I will be gone for a couple weeks. We are heading south to see our kids and then soak up some heat and sunshine and meet up with friends. I am really looking forward to this much needed escape. :)

But don't worry, I have blog posts already scheduled for you while I'm gone! :)


OK, here is what we picked up at Winco..


Milk (certainly the smallest amount of milk I've ever bought! Ha, ha!! :), half n half, hamburger buns (they went in the freezer), grape tomatoes, bananas, apples and oranges.  And bran which I bought in the bulk area.  

We have fruit and veggies that I'm working to use up before we leave.  So I only bought what I knew I would need.  

The grand total for Winco was $10

Next Stop was Costco..



Ha, ha!!  Yep that was it.  Well I did pick up a few things for my grandson to take with me, but as for food this was it.  A package of decaf coffee beans (hubby drinks half decaf and half regular coffee) and some mixed nuts.  We'll be taking those with us to snack on while on the road.  

Grand total for Costco:  $30

Weekly total:  $40


***************************


Homemade Pizza



I love pizza and homemade pizza is my favorite.  Last week I made us some pizza and it was so good.  I started by making the crust..




My recipe is for 3 pizza crusts (recipe is at the end of this post).  This use to be the normal for me when I was feeding the whole family.  But 1 pizza is plenty for the two of us.  So I divided the dough into 3 pieces and put 2 of them in the freezer for another day.  I figured if I was going to go to the effort of making the dough, I might as well make enough for the future while I'm at it..  



 


I have many different toppings that I like on a pizza.  For this one I had a 1/2lb of sausage in the fridge and decided bacon along with this would be good. The other toppings are mushrooms, peppers and olives..  and of course mozzarella cheese which somehow didn't manage to get in the picture..  :)




I also used a 24oz can of spaghetti sauce.  However that was more sauce than what I needed for just one pizza.  So after putting the sauce on my pizza I divided the rest of it between 2 freezer containers and put those in the freezer.  The next time I want to make pizza I can pull out a crust and a container of sauce.



I wanted to share this one little tip that was such a time saver!!  I baked my bacon in the oven.  I baked 1 pound of bacon at 400 for approx. 15 minutes..

When the bacon was done cooking I removed it and let it cool for a few minutes..

 

 It was time to crumble the bacon for the pizza.  I did this little trick and it was amazing.  I broke the bacon in pieces and put it in my food processor to crumble it super quick..






Very cool if you ask me!  :D  ..


********************************
 
Now for my pizza crust recipe..



Crystal's Pizza Crust
Makes 3 crust

2 Tbs yeast
2 1/4 cups warm water
1 TBS salt
4T olive oil
6 to 7 cups flour 

In a standing type mixer bowl combine yeast and warm water.  Let sit for 5 minutes to get foamy.  Add olive oil, salt and about half of the flour.  Mix and slowly add remaining flour until dough is no longer sticky.  Cover the dough and let it rise for about 1 hour or until double in size.  

After rise time, punch dough down (I leave my dough in the mixer bowl and then turn the mixer back on to punch it down). 

Pizza dough can be on the sticky side and that is normal.  When you are handlign the dough use oil on your hands to keep it from sticking, not flour. 

Cut the dough into 3 equal sizes.  Roll dough out to fit a 14 inch size pizza pan.  

Preheat oven to 450.  Bake the crust for 5 minutes, remove from oven and top with desired toppings.  Return to oven and bake another 15 to 20 minutes.  

 

Comments

  1. That pizza looks great! And, that certainly is the smallest shopping trip ever!!! Have fun on your trip:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub