Menu Monday!




I'm struggling with how much to cook for two people. My youngest son always did a great job of eating up leftovers. Also my appetite is small right now and between that and swallowing issues (which are improving, but still difficult) I eat tiny portions and end up with to much food left. Last week the pork chops did not get made and we had the pulled pork for 3 nights. The new challenge is to figure out how much is enough. My brain still wants to cook for lots of people! 😃  Anyone else cooking for two find it a challenge?

On the plus side I find when I have to much I can freeze it into individual servings for use in my hubby's lunch.

Today is my youngest son's birthday so we're going to go and visit him and get a bite to eat with him to celebrate his day.

For the rest of the week here is my game plan...

Pork Chops
Trying again with these. I plan to either bake or fry them and make gravy with the juices. I'll serve baked potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts on the side.


Spaghetti
Pretty simple to make. French bread and a salad will round out the meal.


Pizza
Pizza is sounding so good to me. I have not decided it I'll buy one already made, or a 'take and bake' pizza or make one. If I make one I'll buy my pizza dough already made. The grocery store I shop at has pizza dough ready to go. I've used it before and it's pretty good. I'll make a salad as well to go with this meal.

That should do it for the week!



Comments

  1. It takes awhile to adjust to cooking for two. I lived with my sister before I got my own house and went from cooking for two to cooking for one. I always had so many left overs. Then I got married and didn't have enough food because I was used to cooking for just me! But you will get it. It just takes time. And swallowing will become easier as it goes along. Believe me. I've been where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll get this down soon 😊 I left you a message on your blog.. I'd love to chat with you about your experience..

      Delete
  2. Hi Crystal,

    Yes, we have gone down to a family of two (sometimes three) and it is taking time to regulate my cooking.

    We have three children very close together in age and between college, graduating college, and moving away, I have one child with us only part of the week. So I make enough for three (or four) since I freeze as much of the leftovers as I can as meals for our son when he works out of town on the weekends. Sometimes I make way too much and other times I don't make enough. I can't get it right.

    In the summer, I have all three kids home since my oldest daughter who is a teacher is always home for the summer (she lives and teaches in Honduras). Then I have to cook for 5 people again. With adult appetites!

    My biggest problem is buying too much for the freezer. When I see a deal, I buy and fill my freezer but we're not moving through that fast enough. I have to stop buying like I have a big household.

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice this sounds so much like what I've been dealing with in the past few years.. especially the freezer full of deals.. LOL 😄 currently my goal has been to stop buying deals and work through the freezer.. which I know will take some time.

      Delete
  3. My hubby and I are in our 70's and I still cook too much. I also made your 2 loaf bread recipe from your other site. I only used 1/3 whole wheat flour, as hubby likes it better that way. Yum Turns out great every time. Glad you are starting to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your menu is making my mouth water. I love fried pork chops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have changed our diet to eliminate sugar and carbs so I don't "cook" as much a assemble! Salmon,salad, cottage cheese, veggies, soups. Trader Joe's is a great store to shop from when you're buying for 1 or 2. Small portions, easy, healthy ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub