Italian Pizza Chicken


This recipe was an idea based on what I had on hand, I mentioned it last week in my Menu Monday post. I wanted to follow up with it. It was a really good.

I put chicken thigh fillets in a baking dish. Topped it with sliced fresh tomatoes (from my garden), then a layer of pepperoni. I covered it all with spaghetti sauce, topped it with mozzarella cheese. I baked it covered for 45 minutes at 400 covered with foil. Then uncovered it and baked it for another 15 minutes to finish melting the cheese and turning it brown.


I can give you rough estimates on the amounts of I used. I made a large amount due to having company and I wanted some for leftovers. This recipe would be easy to cut in half.

I served this over bow tie pasta. Any type of pasta would work just fine.




Italian Pizza Chicken

5# chicken thigh fillets (I'm sure chicken breasts would work as well)
4 roma tomatoes, sliced
Pepperoni – not sure of the amount, think enough to cover the top of the chicken (4 oz maybe?)
2 24oz cans spaghetti sauce
Mozzarella cheese, enough to cover the top (3 cups, approx)

You will need 2- 9x3 pans. Lay chicken on bottom of pans. Cover with sliced roma tomatoes and then cover with pepperoni. Pour 1 can of sauce over each pan. Top with cheese.

Cover with foil, bake at 400 for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned on top.

Serve over pasta.


NOTES: I found this to be juicy. Which was great for spooning over the pasta. I also think that sliced onions and peppers could also be added on top of the tomatoes for even more flavor. My family definitely enjoyed this!


 

Comments

  1. Thank you Crystal! Your post was divinely inspired because I needed to make a pantry meal for my family and had no ideas to work with until now! I can't wait to try this on my family tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried this tonight and it was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the update!! Glad you enjoyed it..

      Delete
  4. Crystal can you use any sliced tomatoes? I picked a bunch today and I'm not sure what kind they are. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm sure any kind would work. I've only used romas as that is what I grow.. But I would use whatever I had, they might be a bit more juicy but that should not be a problem..

      Delete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub