Grocery Haul for Two and Hamburger Enchiladas





This week I didn't need to go to Costco so Winco was my only stop. Here is what I purchased...



My daughter was here and took the picture for me so some things are a little hidden in there. I picked up the weekly basics, apples, oranges, bananas and the only veggies I needed were mushrooms and tomatoes. I still have lettuce, spinach, cucumber and cabbage in my fridge for salad making. I also purchased half n half, sliced cheese, a bag of sharp cheddar cheese and a bag of mozzarella cheese and whipping cream (I needed that for a recipe) and a couple packages of angel hair pasta. I bought 2 cans of crescent rolls and hidden under the crescent rolls was a small container of grated parmesan cheese.. 

 


My grand total (rounded up) for this
week's groceries was $39

**************************** 



Now on to my Hamburger Enchiladas....



These were pretty quick and easy to put together. I had posted on Monday's blog a link to my usual enchilada sauce recipe. At the last minute I decided to try something a little different and was really happy with it. I think this might be my new go-to recipe.

To begin with I cooked up a pound of hamburger with some onions...




Then I added a can of chili beans (I did not drain them)...



Then I turned my attention to the enchilada sauce. In a saucepan I put 2T avocado oil and 2T flour. I heated this to a boil and let it cook for a minute or so to remove the flour taste.

Then I added 2 cups chicken broth, chili powder, cumin and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste..


I let this cook a little longer to thicken up.

Now it was time to assemble the enchiladas...

I put a generous scoop of filling in the center of a tortilla, rolled it up and placed it in my 9x9 pan. After I had filled my pan I poured all the sauce over them and sprinkled cheese on the top.




I baked them for about 30 minutes until everything was hot and bubbly and the cheese had melted. They were delish!




I had a little of the filling leftover so I put that in a container in the fridge and used it for taco salads for lunches over the next few days. I also opened one 6oz can of tomato paste for this recipe and dividied the remaining paste in two little containers and put them in the freezer. It's nice to have it for when a recipe calls for such a small amount and the rest of the can does not go to waste...





Hamburger Enchiladas

1 pound hamburger
1 small onion, diced
1 can (15oz) chili beans – do not drain
5 to 6 – 7in flour tortillas
Cheddar Cheese (amount is your own preference)

Enchilada Sauce
2T oil – I used avocado oil but you can use whatever oil you would like
2T flour
2 cups chicken or beef broth/stock
1T chili powder
1t cumin
2T tomato paste
Salt, to taste


In a frying pan cook the hamburger and onions until the hamburger is no longer pink and the onions are soft. Add the can of chili beans. Turn off heat and set aside.

To make the sauce:

In a small saucepan combine oil and flour. Cook over medium high heat, whisking to combine. Bring to a boil and let it cook for about 1 minute. Add the broth, chili powder, cumin and tomato paste. Whisk to combine well and let it cook for another minute or two to thicken up. Turn off heat.

To Assemble Enchiladas

Place a large scoop of filling down the center of the tortilla. Top with cheese (as much or as little as you'd like). Roll up, burrito style, and place in a 9x9 pan. Do this until your pan is filled up. If you have filling leftover you can refrigerate or freezer for another use (I used mine to make taco salads for lunch).

Pour all of the enchilada sauce over the filled tortillas. Sprinkle cheese on top (how much ever you would like). Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until everything is hot and bubbly.

Serve with a salad and tortilla chips and salsa. Yummy!

If you try these I hope you enjoy them as much as we did :)




Comments

  1. Wow! I was going some old papers and found articles and recipes I printed out from your old blog from 2008! I always enjoyed the information you put out on the other blog. So happy to have accidentally found you after all these years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub