Silk Dyeing Easter Eggs



I read about this from a few different websites and wanted to try it. Just something new and fun. When I was in Sacramento my daughter and I went to her favorite Good Will and I found a silk scarf. I purchased it to try dyeing some eggs.

You need something silk to do this. Men's ties work great, but were so expensive. I started looking at women's silk scarves and found one that was about $3. Better price then what I was seeing with the ties...



I cut the scarf into 5 pieces. They need to be big enough to wrap around the egg tightly. Then I had some cotton fabric and I cut 5 pieces of this..



I wrapped each egg in the silk...
 



Then in the cotton fabric..



I put them in a pot, covered them with water and added 2T of white vinegar..



I boiled them for 10 minutes. When they were done I used a slotted spoon to take them out of the boiling water...



When they had cooled enough I removed the fabric. And this is what I had..




Very pretty. Not sure if I had boiled them longer the colors would be more vibrant or not. I'll be on the lookout this year in thrift shops for more silk to try again next Easter.

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub