Salmon or Tuna Patties for the Freezer


I actually made these last month and did not have time to post this. I love these things!! They are great to have in the freezer and easy to make.

I used a different recipe than the one I have on my website. I like that recipe, but if you know me I like to play around with recipes and try new things. Here is the recipe I used…

Salmon or Tuna Patties (for the freezer)

3 – 6oz cans of salmon or tuna, drained
¼ onion, chopped small
1 celery stalk, chopped small
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
1 T olive oil
approx. 1/2 cup flour


In a large bowl combine salmon or tuna, onion and celery. Mix in mayonnaise, egg, and a little salt and pepper. Add olive oil and then add flour until the mixture sticks together.

Using a ¼ cup measuring cup measure out a scoop and form a patty.

For Freezing: Lay patties on a tray and flash freeze. When they are frozen put them in zip type bags.

Cooking Instructions: Heat a frying pan to medium high heat. Add a thin coating of olive oil. Cook frozen patty (or patties, depending on how many you need) for 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for 3 to 5 minutes. Try and not do a lot of flipping over and over with them as they will begin to fall apart. If you only flip once they will be fine.


Here it is in pictures….


Combine all ingredients adding enough flour for the mixture to hold together..



Using a ¼ cup measuring cup scoop salmon or tuna mixture and form into patties. Lay on a tray. I lined my tray with parchment paper to make it easier to remove them when they were frozen. Put tray in freezer and let them freeze…



When they are frozen remove them and store in zip lock bags…



 
 

Comments

  1. I make these once in awhile but have never thought of freezing them. What a great idea. I am definately going to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any freezer organization tips? I am struggling with ways to keep up with what I put in the freezer such as this recipe. I have one freezer entirely for beef (we have a steer butchered every year) then I have another for pork and chicken. But I seem to lose these prepepared meals in the other freezer! Oh, it is wonderful to have so much food at hand but I hate to lose it because of not being used up in time. Thanks Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a small dry erase board in the pantry, the canning room, and over each of the two small chest freezers in the basement (one is meat and prepared meals only and the other is everything else: fruit/veggies/bread/ misc. ). Great to "see" what you have on hand at "point of use".

      Delete
    2. Lots of great ideas here on knowing what you have on hand in the freezer! When I make a batch of something for the freezer, I write it down and then hang the list (adding to it as I make more).. and cross off as I use the meals.

      I have chest freezers and have found sturdy boxes work well for me to keep things better organized and prevent small things from falling to the bottom.

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! We love fish cakes (tuna or salmon) and I'm definitely going to try these. I have a huge (Sam's Club sized) can of tuna. I had been trying to figure out the best way to use it up once I opened it. This will do the trick and I'll have enough to send some to my son some for his freezer, too.

    (Midmofarmfamily -- I'm not Crystal, but a spreadsheet works for me. I keep a simple freezer list of what I have and try to mark things off once or twice a week.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter and I love salmon patties but hubby doesnt like them so I dont make them very often because it is not practical for me to make an entire recipe because me and my daughter wont eat them all before they go bad. Never thought about freezing these! Definately going to make a batch to freeze. Another idea to use up extra cooked patties is to use the whole patties to make sandwhiches the next day using hamburger buns and tartar sauce, yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try mixing in some bread cubes or crumbs and an egg, instead of mayonnaise, and coat each patty with bread crumb. Bread will stretch your salmon go further to make an extra patty or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got several boxes of original stuffing mix after Thanksgiving last year for a great price and I mix half the bag of stuffing mix with 2 cans of salmon and one egg. The spices in the stuffing mix add great flavor! I also like to mix it with ground beef to make freezeable meat balls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make tuna zucchini burgers. 2 cans of tuna, 1 medium sized zucchini,shredded,a little salt and pepper, 1 or 2 tbs. Of yellow mustard, one large egg,1 sleeve of saltine crackers, crushed and about 1 tbs. Of finely diced onion. Mix all together and make into patties. Cook over medium heat in oil till nicely browned on bottom then flip and cook on other side. I love these on toasted buns with miracle whip and lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy.. this sounds soooo good!! Thank you!! I'm saving it to try during zucchini season.. :)

      Delete
  8. How do you cook them after you freeze them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon.. you cook them the same way as you would before freezing (cooking instructions are in the post) . If they are frozen they make take a few extra minutes of cooking time. Crystal

      Delete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub