Wednesday on the Homestead




Good Morning friends! How's your week going? Anyone else ready for spring to start? I know I sure am.

We've just been hunkering down and letting winter do its thing, as if we have any other choice. Hubby's had a couple days he had to take off work because of ice and snow and hazardous road conditions. We'd really like to enjoy his vacation days in some other way, but thankful that he's safe and is able to this.

Winter has never been my favorite season. I've been known to complain a bit about it, ok, complain a LOT about it. And I know our winter's are nothing in comparison to what you folks in the Midwest or East coast have to deal with. This year I determined to have a better attitude about winter and roll with the seasons and try and see the good in each of the four seasons. I was doing good with this until this week, ha, ha! :D Now I'm done, and soooo ready to move on to some spring like weather. As I look at the forecast that won't be happening over the next week. Time to check the attitude and be thankful for all of God's creations (including winter :).

If winter gets you down, what ways do you cope with this season?


Goals
I want to go grocery shopping today. I'll need to check the road conditions and see how the highway looks. If it's not an icy mess then grocery shopping will be first on my list.

Chores that I need to do today in the home:

~vacuum
~wash a load of towels
~give my kitchen a little extra attention


If I get to the store I'm picking up a rotisserie chicken for dinner and making a side of rice or roasted potatoes to go with that. If I don't get to the store, it will be plan B (still working on what plan B is! :)


For the Love of Books!
Almost done with Swiss Family Robinson! I was hoping to say I was done by now, but I didn't spend enough time reading to quite finish the book. Next week I'll mark it as read and move onto my next book.

Are you familiar with the site Good Reads? I like this site a lot. I only really use it for updating my reading and reading reviews of books and seeing what my friends are reading.

Here is the Good Reads website if you're not familiar with it.



Projects
I did spend time working on my new project (something fun to do when it's snowy out). I decided to make a scrap quilt as a way to use up some of my scraps. Now that I'm doing this I kind of regret tossing so many scraps a few years ago. But I was trying to be reasonable in what I kept and minimize my life.

I decided to make a variety of quilt squares from my scraps. I don't know what it will all look like in the end. I'm doing this as I'm inspired and having fun with it.

A few years ago I started something similar and cut out a bunch of squares and made several small 9 patch blocks. I didn't really have a plan then either. But I'm working to incorporate all of this (and more scraps) into my new project.

He's a few of the squares I've made..

A couple 4 patch blocks, one with a border (the lighting on these is a bit wonky):



And a couple blocks that I incorporated those little 9 patch blocks:


And my recent favorite blocks are these 2 Log Cabin blocks. I have never made these before and had a lot of fun making them. I plan to do a few more as I cut a good amount of my fabric into 2 inch strips:


I'll keep you updated on my progress!


Fitness and Health
Snow, Ice and yuck and not a lot of motivation to slip and slide around outside. I think I need to pull out my Leslie Sansone walk DVD's (or visit her YouTube channel) and get some workouts done. I really prefer walking outside, but, that is not meeting my goals at the moment. I keep thinking the weather will break and I can get back out there. 
 

View from my Deck
It's currently 26 out and with the windchill it feels like 11 (according to my weather app). We have had snow and then it melts and just when it's almost gone we get more snow. Right now it's a dusting from last night. But everything has a pretty blanket of white and is peaceful to look at (finding the best in winter and appreciating God's handiwork :):




Today's weather: High: 36 Low: 28

That's all for this week my friends,
Crystal

Comments

  1. the quilt blocks are so cute. What a good way to use up scraps. I am not a quilter but I do sew and have a lot of scraps. What I do not know how to do is how to put a backing on a quilt. All I know is that it looks like it takes a lot of material to do it. We are thanking the Lord for the snow we have got as we hardly got any last year and there were so many fires in our area of AZ.
    I lived in Oregon for 12 years and you kind of get use to the rain and can get tired of grey skies if it happens too much so I do understand. I live in the high desert of AZ so get to see snow covered mountains too. Yours are sure beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really a quilter either. I just have fun with it :D .. I've made several quilts over the years and always enjoy the process. There are so many great YouTube videos on the whole quilt making process. I'd suggest doing a search and seeing how you sandwich the quilt front, batting and backing. Depending on the size of the quilt there can be a lot of fabric. Several years ago I made one of my sons a quilt from old blue jeans and flannel which he still uses today. It was big enough to put on a full size bed. For the backing I purchased a full size top sheet. It was more economical than fabric and was big enough to do the job.

      That is great that you lived in Oregon! It's a beautiful state (as is Washington ;) ). But you are right, I get very tired of the grey skies as it can seem, at times, that it is the norm for most of the year. When my hubby and I can't take it any longer we head south for sunshine and warmth. AZ is on our list to visit one of these years. We were both there several years ago but it was work related for hubby so it was quick trip and we didn't see a whole lot.
      Thanks for the comment!
      Crystal

      Delete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub