Tuesday on the Homestead



So, here it is Tuesday… and my to-do list is long. I’m still in the midst of my bathroom cleaning and reorganization project. My sister in law is here.. and has kind of taken over.. with my blessings! She is painting and removing doors and drawers to paint and update. Honestly, I’m thankful. I would never have embarked on such a project because my time just would not accommodate it. But, she is an ever willing helper to jump in and tackle stuff I cannot.. so I hope this project will be done by the end of the month, I’ll keep you posted!!

Yesterday was my weekly grocery shopping day and today I have stuff to take care of. I bought 6#’s of hamburger.. 3 pounds will be made into meatballs for an upcoming meal and 3 #’s will be cooked and bagged for an upcoming meal. Yesterday Leanne made about 1 ½ dozen black bean patties for lunch time meals this week. I’ll post on that soon. Today Leanne will also make a batch of creamy broccoli soup for lunch time meals. Having good quality, economical lunch time options is very helpful.

The rest of my to-do list? Laundry, house cleaning, organizing some drawers & cupboards that have been neglected way to long, clean the bathroom, meal cooking (chicken bacon chowder on the menu tonight! Yum.. and maybe some homemade dinner rolls and a veggie platter), and time spent with my hubby and family. This is the middle of hubby’s weekend (he works over the “normal” weekend).

And here is the dinner Leanne and I made the other night. We were not following my menu due to a crazy week. We looked in the fridge and said.. what shall we do the day before grocery shopping day?  Our options were limited. We came up with Creamy Onion Soup and Ham & Cheese Bread.
 


Creamy Onion Soup

3 medium sized onions, any kind but the sweet onions are my favorite for this soup
7 cups chicken or veggie broth, divided
2 cups whole milk (you can use 2% I am sure but we always use/have whole milk)
1 T sugar
1 t salt, more or less to taste
½ to ¾ t pepper
¾ cup flour
1 cup shredded cheese, any kind

Cut onions into slices and then cut those slices in quarters and set aside. In a good sized soup pot combine 6 cups broth and the onion slices. Bring this all to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. When the simmering time is finished, turn burner off and add milk, sugar, salt and pepper.

In a canning jar with a tight fitting lid combine the reserved cup of broth and the flour. With the lid on, shake the jar well to combine flour and water and break up any lumps.
Add the water/flour mixture to the soup pot with a wire whisk. Turn the heat on high and stir well until the soup boils and begins to thicken. Reduce the heat and let simmer on low for 15 minutes to blend flavors.

Sprinkle cheese on the top of the soup and stir that in just before serving.  Add a few green onions to the soup if you want.. 


Ham & Cheese Bread

Use this recipe: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/pepperonibread.htm  and instead of pepperoni use ham lunch meat and cheddar cheese. Follow the rest of the instructions. It is amazing! :)


 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub