Recipe Requests Answered


 

After I posted last weeks menu I got a few recipe requests and here they are:

 

I had a couple requests for the pizza rice casserole. It was very good! 

 

Pizza Rice Casserole

Crystal Miller

 

2 cups cooked brown rice

1 ½ cups cottage cheese

1 lb. sausage or hamburger or a combo of both

1 onion, chopped

1 -14oz can diced tomatoes

1 -8oz can tomato sauce

2 t Italian seasonings

½ t salt

Mozzarella cheese

Optional:

Pepperoni

Black olives, sliced

 

Combine cooked rice and cottage cheese and spread into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Cook sausage and onions until sausage is done and onions are soft. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasonings and salt. Spread this over the top of the rice. If you want to use the optional items layer those on top of the sausage/tomato mixture. Top with mozzarella cheese (as much or as little as desired). Bake at 325 for 30 minutes or until all is bubbly and hot and cheese has melted. 

 

 

Page asked for my Hawaiian Pineapple Cake recipe. This one I actually got from Best of Mennonite Fellowship Meals but reworked the recipe to be a little bit healthier.

 

Hawaiian Pineapple Cake w/cream cheese frosting

2 cups cane juice crystals

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

2 t baking soda

1 t. vanilla

2 eggs

½ t salt

1- 20oz can crushed pineapple, do not drain

 

Frosting

½ cup (or 1 cube) butter, room temp

8oz cream cheese, room temp

1 cup powdered Sucanat (could use powdered sugar)

1 t vanilla

 

This cake is easy to make in a Kitchen Aid or Bosch. Combine all cake ingredients and mix until well combined. Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray and pour cake batter into pan. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tests done. After the cake has cooled, spread with frosting.

 

To make frosting combine all frosting ingredients and beat very well until the frosting is smooth.

 

Anonymous asked for my Macaroni Salad recipe. Well to perfectly honest I don’t have a recipe written down. I make it like my mother always made it. I cook macaroni noodles (the amount desired for my family) and add a couple eggs to the noodles while they boil. I drain the macaroni and peel and chop up the eggs and add those. I chop up onions and pickles and add those to the macaroni. Then I make the dressing to mix in. I combine mayonnaise and pickle juice until just right..  which for me means that I neither taste mayo or pickle juice to strongly. Then I add chopped garlic, salt, pepper, seasoning salt to taste. I also add a couple tablespoons of mustard to this. I like to use Dijon the best. I mix all this together and then mix it with my noodles. Put in the fridge to get cold and serve with dinner. Hope that helps and maybe one of these days I will take the time to measure out the ingredients to make a more precise recipe.

 

 

Halflinger asked if my family liked to eat big meals when it is hot. Yes they still eat well no matter what the temperature is! My hubby works nights so he is unaffected by the heat and I send him whatever I make for dinner plus a second meal.. usually sandwiches; he works long shifts and spends 1 ½ hours total time commuting so I send lots of food with him.

 

Comments

  1. Thank you.. haflinger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to have the recipe for the chicken crockpot enchiladas when you have the time. Thank you for your time.

    Gina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub