Refrigerator Pancake Batter and Homemade Buttermilk


My older children living at home all work and have schedules that are all different. Breakfast can be a challenge for them. Sometimes I make a meal for them, but usually they take care of their own breakfast. I wanted to give them something easy as an option so I made up a pancake batter that can sit in the fridge for a week or so. When someone wants a couple pancakes they simply pull it out of the fridge, stir it up, cook up a few and put the batter back in the fridge. So far this is working great and they are enjoying this easy breakfast option.




 
Refrigerator Pancake Batter

2T yeast
½ cup warm water
4 cups flour
1 ½ t baking soda
2t baking powder
6T sugar
2t salt
6 eggs
½ cup olive oil
3 cups buttermilk

In a small bowl combine yeast and warm water and let this sit for a few minutes to activate. In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar & salt. In a medium bowl beat eggs and add oil and buttermilk. Add yeast mixture and buttermilk/egg/oil mixture to the flour. Stir to combine.

Cook these pancakes at a slightly lower temp and a little longer cooking time than regular pancakes.

The batter can be stored in the fridge for a week or so. Make sure to store it in a bowl or container that allows room for the batter to expand in size.  Because it has yeast in it, it will bubble and grow.  Give it a stir before using each time. 



Buttermilk

I bought a quart of cultured buttermilk for this recipe. After making it I had a cup left over. I put it in quart size jar…



Then added milk to the top…



Put a lid on in and let it sit on my counter overnight and .. voila! I now have another quart of buttermilk! I’m not sure how many times this can be recultured using store bought buttermilk.  I typically make buttermilk from powdered buttermilk cultures.


 

Comments

  1. Love this idea! My boys love pancakes and ask for them frequently, but I am not crazy about the mess and time it takes each time. I have tried making pancakes ahead of time and freezing them...but we aren't really crazy about them when reheated. Fresh is so yummy!
    My question is this. Could you use kefir in place of the buttermilk? I always have that. :-)
    Love your homemaking/stream lining posts.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristin! Yes, I'm sure kefir would work fine... :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub