Canning Spaghetti Sauce

 

My tomatoes are finally coming in full force!  So I have been making lacto fermented salsa and spaghetti sauce.  I thought I would share my recipe and how I can up the sauce.  I don’t peel the tomatoes … just thought I would mention this..    In order to can this sauce you will need a pressure canner.  If you don’t have one you can always freeze the sauce in quart size freezer bags.   


Spaghetti Sauce from Fresh Tomatoes


¼ cup olive oil
3 large onions, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
8oz mushrooms, sliced (about 4 cups sliced)
2 cups chopped celery
1T minced garlic
8 to 10lbs fresh tomatoes
26oz tomato paste
3 to 4 cups tomato juice
4T Italian seasonings
1T salt
1 or 2t red chili peppers, optional (adds a little zest) 


OK.. here we go… 


You will need a very big pot for all of this.  The one I am using is 14 quarts.  Sautee in olive oil the onions, green peppers, mushrooms, celery and garlic until soft. 


 


While the veggies are cooking wash the tomatoes


 


Core them and use a food processor to puree them..   Set them aside until the veggies are done cooking. 


 


When the veggies are soft add the tomatoes…


 


Add the remaining ingredients


 


Let this simmer uncovered for an hour or so….. 


Now get out 7 quart canning jars.  Wash them with hot soapy water.  Set them in your sink and fill each one with boiling water to keep them hot.  And it helps to test them to see if any might break with the hot water.


 


Get out 7 rings and 7 new lids.  Put them in a pan of water and put on the stove.  Heat them up so they are hot and ready to go…


 


Now fill each jar with 4 cups of sauce. Leave 1 inch head space. Wipe the rim of the jar clean and put a hot lid and ring on.  Tighten the ring finger tip tight. 


 


Put the jars in the canner…..



Now at this point I am assuming that if you own a pressure canner you know how to use it..    Soo.. I was not going to do a lot of detail on how to use a canner..  that may be in another post at some point if I thought there was an interest..   


In any case..  you will need to process the sauce at 10lbs of pressure for 90 minutes.  If you live at higher elevations you will need to adjust this accordingly.  After much research on times to process this sauce I settled for 90 minutes. It is nearly impossible to find reliable information on how much time to process some of the individual veggies in the sauce.  So I figured I better shoot for safety on this one.   


 


When you are done you will have some beautiful sauce ready for winter….


 


 


 


 


 

Comments

  1. This looks amazing but unfortunately I do not own a pressure canner...I am terrified of those things. Had a friend once have her lid fly off and put the biggest hole in her ceiling...I almost die laughing everytime I think of it, but at the time I'm sure it was brutally scary for her...so I have stayed clear ever since.


    But wish I could come for dinner and taste your spaghetti sauce:-)


    Blessings,


    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog is such an encouragement. I feel like I've been to a friend's house for a soothing cup of tea. Bless you for your faithfulness. Denise (prairiemom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I so enjoy your site. I am wanting to learn how to can, freeze, etc. I do not own a pressure canner. I've heard so many horrid stories that I'm afriad I wouldn't know how to handle one safely. At any rate I love reading and trying out your recipes AND prehaps one day I'll can too!! Thank you for taking the time to be so informative!

    Blessings, Sylvia

    lillyandlime.blogspot.com helloitsmelord@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tomtoes look lovely and the finished product absolutely wonderful!

    Many Congrats on being the HSB Blogger of the week...you have a very nice blog! Love the pics, and very informative.

    God Bless!

    Bev from Furbelow Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sauce looks amazing!!! Two questions for ya, what types/varieties of tomatoes do you use for your sauce and also, does the pureeing the tomatoes take care of any skin you might find? basically, i don't want to find any big slivers of skin, do you ever? Thanks.

    Love your blog!!!


    samantha

    www.thefull-handedhousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! Do you have a good recipe for lactofermented salsa? I made my first saurkraut the other day, but it hasn't been long enough for me to try it yet... being patient is tough! :) Anyway, I'd love to know how the salsa comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you ever put your tomatoes through a victorio strainer or vegetable sieve. Thats what the amish taught me to do here in Ohio. You don't have to blanch them. Just cut them small enough to fit through the top hole of the strainer and crank out the sauce. Sauce in the bottom and skins, seeds and core out the waste side. Easy peesy.


    Thanks for sharing the sauce recipe too. I was looking for one that wasn't in a premade package of spices. I'll have to try yours.


    Keep blogging.


    shellsgang.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub