How to Stretch a Beef Roast

 



We buy a whole beef once a year from a local farmer.  This last Tuesday we went and picked up this years cow.  I still had 3 pieces of meat from last years cow.  I wanted to use it up before starting in on the new cow.  I had 2 t-bone steaks, 2 cube steaks and 1 small pot roast.   


Well Wednesday was my birthday and we grilled steaks.. we used the up the 2 t-bones and 2 more packages of steak from the new cow to feed all of us.  It was so yummy..    


Well yesterday I looked at my small pot roast and wondered what to do with it.  I had a few cups of cooked brown rice in the fridge to use up as well.  So I browned up the pot roast in a little olive oil and added an onion and then a little water and let this simmer for about 3 hours.  When it was done I cut up about half of the roast.  I mixed this up with about 4 cups of the brown rice I had plus 1 can of cream of mushroom soup (Amy’s brand.. found at health food stores) and some sour cream (I did not measure this), plus I added some cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.  I put it all in an 11x15 pan and put some cheddar cheese on the top.  I baked it for about an hour at 350.  My family went nuts over it.. they loved it!  I served it with my homemade fermented salsa and tortilla chips and a salad.   


Today I still had half the roast left.  I took two large baked potatoes that I had left from my birthday bbq (we had bbq steaks and baked potatoes)…  and I cut the meat and potatoes up and fried them with an onion in a little olive oil..  very yummy! I served this with my homemade fermented sauerkraut.   So I was feeling pretty good.. I had one pot roast that by itself would not have fed my family one meal and stretched it out to two meals, or more.  I still have leftovers that we will probably eat up tomorrow.  I love being thrifty and stretching my food as far as I can.   


 

Comments

  1. That beef and rice dish sounds yummy! I love making up a dish like that and the family loving it!!!


    God's Blessings,

    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are looking for new host to the carnival

    are you interested?


    http://homesteadcarnival.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have mentioned in recent posts about fermenting foods, that it takes a few tries to get it right. my question is, how do you know if it was successful? I am worried about getting sick if I eat it and it wasn't done right. I have never eaten saurkraut before so I have no reference (plus I am sure this probably tastes better then store bought anyway). can you give me some ideas on how to tell if it is bad? thanks. deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can make what you want of the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub