Making Homemade Egg Rolls


I love egg rolls. Awhile back I started making them myself and found out how easy they are to make. They are a bit time consuming but then again any food made one piece at a time is a consumer of time :).

The one prepackaged product I do buy for these egg rolls is the wrappers. I am sure if I worked on it I could figure out how to make them, but that seems way more time consuming than I am willing to go!

I can’t say these egg rolls rank up there with extremely healthy food, but I like to think they are healthier than what I could get in a restaurant (and way less expensive!).

First I make the filling for the egg rolls. Now this is the part that some may not like.. I don’t really have measurements…….

I usually start with one head of cabbage. But even that is a little tricky.. is it a big head or small or medium, etc.. I just buy what the grocer is selling. This time the head seemed medium but pretty dense. I also had about half a head of purple cabbage in the fridge that I added to this. Slice all the cabbage up in very small slices. I use my food processor for this job.

One large onion - I grate the onion up with my food processor

Several carrots, grated

Meat – this is optional. I have done it without meat before. In the photos here I am using some chicken and a little shrimp. I cut the chicken up into small pieces and then put it in my food processor for a few seconds to really get the pieces small. With the shrimp I just cut them up as small as I could.

Spices: I use soy sauce and oyster sauce (or fish sauce would work too, I’ve used either). You can buy the oyster (or fish) sauce in the Asian department of most grocery stores or at an Asian grocery store.

Egg Roll Wrappers – you will find these in the produce department of many grocery stores. If you don’t then try an Asian grocery store.

You begin by preparing all the veggies and mixing them together in one big bowl. I admit that I was making a LOT of egg rolls so.. yea, it is a lot of filling….



Then I put it all the veggies in a big pan with a bit of olive oil and cook it all up. When it has finished cooking I put it back in my big mixing bowl.


Then I cook up the meat with a little olive oil...




And add this to the veggies. I mix all of this together well and add my sauces.


I tend to go for less seasoned rather than overly seasoned. I usually put in twice as much soy sauce as oyster sauce. So I would start with 2T soy sauce and 1T oyster sauce and then taste and go from there. Add the sauces to the mixture:


Once I have my filling ready to go it is time to start making the egg rolls. I get out my package of wraps (I used two for this batch)


I lay them on a plate like a diamond. I also get a small glass of water for sealing them.



I put about 2T, kind of heaping in the center of each wrap.





I dip my fingers into the water and spread some on the edges of the wrap





 

Then I take the bottom of the diamond and fold it up.. adding more water if I need to so it seals




Then fold in the sides






Now I roll the bottom upward and fold the top down and seal with a little more water..






I lay these out on a large jelly roll pan, but any plate or cookie sheet would work. You don’t want them touching each other because they will stick together. After I have one layer on the pan then I put a layer of plastic wrap over them and stack the second layer on top.. I repeat for however many rows I need..


Now it is time to cook them up! I get out my large cast iron frying pan and heat up some coconut oil. I wait till the oil is quite hot. Then I add as many egg rolls to the pan as I can. I let them cook up for a couple of minutes or less. If your oil is hot enough it does not take long for them to get browned and cooked..


Then I carefully flip them over to cook on the other side.



I stack them on a large platter in the oven to keep warm. I work my way through all of them until I am done!!


My family loves these and I usually serve them with orange chicken and chow mien (a recipe for another day :)

 

Comments

  1. Those look amazing!!! That is a HUGE recipe, I was wondering if you think I could freeze them? I know the insides would be okay, but I don't know about the wraps...
    Num!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep.. it was a huge amount.. I don't know if you could freeze them or not, I have not done this.. however you certainly can make a smaller recipe.. it really just depends on how many you want to make.. that is why there is no set amount of measurements for this..

    On the freezing again.. If I was going to try and freeze them, I would flash freeze them before frying. Then fry them up from frozen. Next time I make them, I will have to give that a try and share how it worked..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!
    Thanks for sharing your recipes.... I am in love with the quick and easy ones, the lasagna is perfect, we loved the black bean sloppy joes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so great! I have always wanted to try at this at home, but thought it'd be too much work. Your post breaks it down so nicely! I am definitely planning this one in next meal plan! I might even throw a few in the freezer to see how they freeze. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful tutorial! I will definitely try this, and I disagree that they are not healthy. I think everything in there fits into a healthy diet. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why do you call them egg rolls when there is no egg? One of my sons is allergic to eggs, so I just read without too much interest, when hey, I can do those! Just have to choose the right wrap. Thank you, especially for the folding/rolling part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Yolanda!!

    Natacha, they are called egg rolls according to the Chinese restaurants.. :) There may be eggs in the wrappers, not sure on that because.. I honestly did not look at the ingredients. :)

    And if anyone makes these and freezes them.. please let me know how it turns out!! I plan to do it the next time I make them.. just don't know when that will be!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love egg rolls...These look really delicious :) :) :) I love that you use coconut oil. I like it too....for cooking or as a skin moisturizer...but if I use it on my skin...that jar is only for moisturizer..NEVER used for cooking...but anyway, I'd read the coconut oil burns clean too when used for cooking :) :) Yummm!!!!!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can freeze them. We always make extra eggrolls. I make mine similiar to yours and use the same brand wrappers. Fry them a tad less when you are going to freeze them and then reheat them in the oven. They work best if they are fried prior to freezing, otherwise they just fall apart.
    We also make them with either hamburger or steak. We leave out the fish sauce and just use soy sauce and they are so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make mine almost the same way but without the meat. We just made these for lunch the other day. I always make lots and then they are good reheated in the toaster oven.
    Hope you hae a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub