More Pie Recipes to Share

 

I shared a couple of days ago about making an apple pie.  I made my favorite Bosch pie crust recipe.  However the recipe makes 4 crusts.  So after making my apple pie I still had 3 crusts left.  I had a big #10 can of peaches sitting in my pantry.  So I made a peach pie.  I used another crust for the top.  That pie was eaten up in no time at all (1 pie, 7 people.. they go fast )..  anywho.. I had some fresh cranberries in the fridge and decided for my last pie crust I would make an apple cranberry pie.  This one was also gone by the next day!  I may need to make another 4 crusts just so I can enjoy some more pie making.  But before that I have our regular daily bread to bake (8 loaves) on my to-do list and then I want to make some cranberry bread too.  We will see how the day goes!  


Peach Pie (from canned peaches)
Crystal Miller



4 cups canned peaches, drained (this can be 2 quarts home canned or 2 16oz cans, I buy the big #10 cans and just measure out what I need) – reserving 1/3 cup of the peach syrup
½ cup cane juice crystals (or white sugar)
pinch of salt
2T whole wheat pastry flour
½ t cinnamon
2T butter
1T lemon juice
2 pie crusts (one for the bottom and one for the top) See my favorite pie crust recipe here


In a large sauce pan combine reserved peach syrup, sugar, cinnamon, and salt well.  Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until mixture becomes very thick and bubbly.  Remove from heat.  Add butter and stir until butter melts.  Add lemon juice and stir.  Add drained peaches and mix well. 


Put mixture into pie crust.  Rolls out the top crust and lay on top.  Cut vent holes with a knife on the top of the crust. Bake at 400 for 40 to 45 minutes.  Enjoy warm with some vanilla ice cream!  Delicious!!  


*****************************
Apple Cranberry Pie
Crystal Miller 




4 cups peeled and sliced apples
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
½ cup cane juice crystals (or white sugar)
¼ cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ t cinnamon
Single 9 inch whole wheat pie crust 


Topping:
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
¼ t cinnamon
¼ cup soft, room temperature butter


In a large bowl combine apples, cranberries, cane juice crystals, sucanat, pastry flour and cinnamon.  Toss gently so all the fruit is nicely coated with the dry ingredients.  Put this mixture into a 9 inch pie crust.   


Turn oven to 375.  While oven heats up make topping:  Combine all topping ingredients in a bowl with a fork, a pastry blender or your clean hands.  Spread the topping over the top of the pie.   


Bake at  375 for 45 to 50 minutes (until the apples are fork tender).  All to cook a bit and serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whip cream.   


Hope you enjoy! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub