Updates from the Homestead & Fall Cooking

I’ve spent the last few days dealing with some website issues. I needed to move my website to a new server. It was supposed to be a simple thing. But without going into a lot of boring detail.. it was not! But I do have it up and running again. Yea!! ~smile~ Now maybe I can get back to semi normal around here.

The days are getting shorter and cooler in my part of the world! I’ve had a fire going off and on. Yesterday was a beautiful fall day, sunny and mild. Rain is in the forecast for today and the next few days. With my attention being diverted to my website I am off my menu plan. So today I did something simple and made a pot of hamburger veggie soup. It was another “off the cuff” recipe. I also made a couple dozen carrot muffins for my family to enjoy with the soup.

My house has also suffered this weekend. So this afternoon I am working to restore some order and plan for the upcoming week. One item on my list for this week will be making another large pot of veggie stock. With all the soups I’ve made in the last couple of weeks I am almost out of stock. I like making veggie stock( http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/ttbveggiebroth.htm ) the most because it is simple to make and does not take as much simmering time as beef or chicken stock.

Now for the recipes from today’s cooking..


Hamburger Veggie Soup
8 cups stock (or water and bullion cubes), it can any type of stock: beef, chicken or veggie
4 cups thinly sliced carrots (I used my food processor to slice them)
about ½ a cabbage, chopped (I also sliced it in my food processor)
2lbs hamburger
1 onion, chopped
2 t. minced garlic
2 or 3 large mushrooms, sliced
1 quart (or 2 cans) green beans, drained
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1T chili powder
1t cumin
1T brown sugar or Sucanat

Put stock and carrots into a soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Add cabbage and cook for another 5 to so minutes to cook cabbage.

While the stock and veggies are cooking fry hamburger, onions, garlic and mushrooms in a large frying pan. When the veggies are done cooking add the cooked hamburger to the soup pot.

Add remaining ingredients, stir and simmer for about 10 minutes. Taste and add salt & pepper to your liking.
 

Carrot Muffins (makes 24 muffins)
2 eggs
1 ½ c orange juice
1 c butter, melted
1c cane juice crystals or white sugar
4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2t baking powder
1t baking soda
1t salt
2t cinnamon
4c shredded carrots

In a mixer combine eggs, orange juice and melted butter. Mix until well combined. Add cane juice crystals (or sugar), and mix well. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add carrots and mix in.

Grease muffin pans with non-stick spray. Spoon about ¼ cup batter into each muffin tin. Bake at 400 for 15 to 20 minutes.
 

Comments

  1. The soup looks yummy and easy to make. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cooler weather and making soups and chili's. Like you I enjoy making recipes my own and creating something new. I'm not shy to use spices either.

    Thank you for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a little behind in my blog reading! I had a very busy weekend and this week isn't turning out to be much different. These two recipes look yummy! It has been rather cool in the evenings but very plesant through the day here. We are finally getting some much needed rain today. Heading over to see you website now. ta ta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the major links on your website are not working: Child Training, Our Little Farm, Quite Time With Jesus, Homeschooling, and Home Birth all give an error message when I click on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes.. I know.. I had to change servers and lost some pages.. but will have them back as soon as I have time to work on it.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub