Grocery Haul for Two and Hamburger Patties w/Onion Mushroom Gravy





This week it was time to head back to Costco as well as our usual Winco for our groceries. It had been 3 weeks since we'd been there.

Our first stop was Winco and this is what we got...




Our regular supply of fruits and veggies, a half gallon of milk and half-n-half for our coffee and yogurt. The Jimmy Dean sausage was on sale and I picked up one for the freezer. I also got 3 cans of spaghetti sauce for the pantry and a bag of bbq chips and hot dog buns. I have hot dogs in the freezer and no buns. So now both are in there waiting until we have a craving for some hot dogs! :)

The total for Winco this week was $32


Next stop was Costco...




I was out of cheese completely so I picked up 5#'s of grated cheddar and a pack of cheese slices. I've never tried this brand before as I'm typically a Tillamook cheese person but we decided to give it a try... 

 


Despite my plan to not buy any meat products until I thin out my freezer I had a real desire for some Aidells chicken sausages. I love these sausages and they come in some amazing varieties. This one is one I haven't tried yet but the combo caught my eye.. bacon, mushroom & swiss cheese.. what's not to love about that! Ha, ha..




After taking my Costco picture and starting to put things away I realized I'd forgot to include my coffee. These are the coffee pods I buy for my Keurig. I'm picky when it comes to how much I'm willing to spend on them. I've seen the K-cups for as much as $1 each and of course lower prices. Rarely do I see them under .40 cents each. But this brand, San Francisco Bay, is by far the best deal around. They sell a box of 100 pods for $29.99. Making the cost of each about .30 cents. And the best part is this coffee tastes so good! 

 


I also grind my own beans for use in my Keurig as well and will be doing a cost breakdown in a future post.


The total for the Costco trip was: $126

Grand Total for this week was: $158



I went through the grocery haul posts since I started in the middle of March to add up what our weekly average is coming to. 

Our average over the last 6 weeks has been $58 per week. 

One thing to remember is that I have not been buying a lot of meat because I have so much in my freezer and am trying to get that used up a bit before hunting down more deals. 

*******************************

Now onto this weeks recipe... 


Hamburger Patties w/Mushroom & Onion Gravy

I wanted to share this recipe because it really was tasty. Both of us enjoyed it a lot. I had 6 hamburger patties in my freezer that I had preformed from some hamburger I purchased last year that was on sale. I had 6 – 4oz patties. This was perfect. It gave us 2 meals each. I served it with rice and a salad. The gravy would also be delicious on baked or mashed potatoes. 

 


1 ½ lbs hamburger
1 small to medium onion, sliced
4 medium size mushrooms, sliced
3T flour
1 ½ cups broth (your choice, chicken or beef) or water
1t garlic, either fresh and minced or powder or granulated
1t season salt
2t Worcestershire sauce
Salt & pepper to your own taste


Form hamburger into 6 (4oz, approx) patties. Heat a large frying to medium high heat and cook the burgers. Sprinkle salt and pepper on them to taste. When patties have finished cooking remove them to a platter and cover to keep warm.

If you have a lot of excess fat from your hamburger, drain, but leave a small amount in the frying pan (a tablespoon or two). Add the sliced onions and mushrooms and cook until they are soft.

When the veggies are soft sprinkle with flour and stir to coat the veggies. Stir this around for a few seconds to cook the flour a little. Add the broth (or water) and whisk to combine. Add seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the gravy thickens up. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Place the burgers back into the gravy to stay warm and serve with potatoes or rice and veggies.



That's all for this week's Friday in the Kitchen!

Comments

  1. Our kids are on their own too now, and it's amazing how few grogeries we buy also. Finally getting used to it. Also, thanks for the tip on San Francisco Bay coffee pods, I try to find bargains for my daughter and that sounds like a good one. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to adjust and the smaller amounts.. my brain still says.
      Oh no, that's not enough.. LOL 😄

      Delete
  2. I used to make this same recipe, although I never measure anything or do anything the same twice.😊 This is my version of salsbery steak. I love it. And you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like some great budgeting! I don't have a k cup machine. I buy peet's or starbucks beans at costco and grind them and brew in a drip coffee maker. I'd like to try something new as my coffee maker needs to be replaced. Which brand of k cup machine would you recommend? Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, the one I have was a gift given to you by my youngest son. I haven't researched them to really know which one is the best. I can say I love mine.. 😊

      Crystal 🙂

      Delete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub