Grocery Haul for Two and Chicken Noodle Instant Pot Quick Meal




It's time for my weekly grocery haul! We shopped at both Winco and Costco this week.

I'll start with my Winco haul. I picked up our weekly supply of fruits and veggies. I hope everyone is aware of the recall on romaine lettuce. I had bought a package last week of romaine hearts and returned them when I was there. They had no problem taking them back. I'm sad about this as I love romaine. However spinach and cabbage will work for this week (I tried to purchase some red or green leaf lettuce and they were nearly out and what was left was to pathetic looking to bother with)..




I picked up the usual apples, oranges and bananas as well as some grapes which have been super sweet and good. I also grabbed a few potatoes, tomatoes and a green pepper.

The rest of the groceries were granola bars, balsamic vinegar, peanut butter, ice cream (yes that's 3 of them! :) Hubby likes his ice cream) mozzarella cheese and a couple cans of olives for the pantry.




Total for Winco this week was: $45


Costco's grocery haul was small. I picked up butter, frozen boneless, skinless chicken tenders, potstickers and Pub Mix (another of hubby's snacks. He's the snacker in the house, I rarely have snacks except for popcorn occasionally). 

 


We also picked up a big bag of cat food. I don't count cat food in my grocery budget. I know everyone does it differently. The cat food is budgeted under “Animal Feed”. Our cats have always been barn cats, not house pets. So their food has always been included with the grain and other supplies I buy for my other animals. 

 


Hubby also found motor oil on sale. I did not take a picture of this because he unloaded it straight to his shop.

The cost for just our grocery items from Costco this was: $51


Total grocery costs for the week: $96


*******************


Chicken Noodle Instant Pot Quick Meal

This is not so much a recipe as a method I used to get a quick meal on the table. The whole meal, from start to finish took about 30 minutes.



Here is what I did...

I put about 6 or 7 boneless, skinless chicken thighs in my Instant Pot (IP). I added 1 cup of water and ½ cup of Yoshidas Sauce. If you're not familiar with Yoshidas sauce this is what it looks like: 




I cooked the chicken thighs on high pressure for 10 minutes. My thighs were partially defrosted. If they were frozen I would probably have done 12 minutes.

When they were done I did a quick release of the pressure. I took the chicken out of the IP and set it aside. I then pressed the Saute button and let the broth/sauce mix come to a boil. I added about 1 cup of frozen chopped broccoli and let that boil for a few minutes.

Then I added 2 packages of Ramen Noodles (I did not add the seasoning packets, just the noodles). I let this boil for another 3 or so minutes. I removed the noodles and broccoli and set them aside.

Lastly I put my steamer basket into the IP (with broth/sauce still in there) and put 8 or 10 potstickers on the basket. I put the lid on and cooked them at high pressure for 5 minutes. When the time was up I did a quick release of the pressure and removed them.

Then it was time to serve dinner. During the times I was waiting for my food to pressure cook I made a salad.

This meal tasted yummy and was quick to put together.



That's all for this week's Friday in the Kitchen!

Comments

  1. Wow, you've downsized tremendously. One of my sons moved out last week. I'm left with two girls and my husband. It's hard to make meals these days since I don't know who will be home to eat. I'm sure you went through that as your nest was emptying. The time of raising kids and trying to stretch money and time is so all consuming, then, it seems to change so suddenly.
    Be blessed,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub