Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Canning Cabbage

I had 4 large heads of cabbage that weighted about 25 pounds. We had some really hot days and I figured I better get the last of them picked soon. My daughter Sierra and I ended up processing 3 of them yesterday and I have one left for a meal on my menu this week.

I made pickled cabbage and then canned up the last of the cabbage.

Here is the recipe for the pickled cabbage (according to how I made it)…

8 pounds cabbage
1 large onion
1 ½ red peppers
1 lb carrots
¾ cup salt
9 cups water
12 cups white vinegar
10 cups sugar
1t mustard seed
1t celery seed

Slice cabbage thinly. Slice onion and peppers. Grate carrots. Mix all veggies together in a very large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and mix in well. Let sit for 2 hours to soften veggies. Rinse veggies well. 


In a large stock pot (mine was 14 quarts) combine water, vinegar, sugar, spices. Bring to a boil. Add cabbage/veggies. Bring to a boil. Fill hot pint jars with veggies using a slotted spoon. Fill jar with brine to one inch of the top. Wipe down top of jar. Apply lid and ring. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. These measurements made 14 pint jars.


Here it is in pics...
 

Slice and grate all your veggies. Put in a large bowl and cover with salt. Mix well. Let it sit for 2 hours…




Mix up your brine and add rinsed veggies. Bring to a boil..




Scoop out veggies with a slotted spoon and fill hot pint jars..




Add brine…




Remove air bubbles…




Wipe the jar top, put on a lid and ring…








Put in canner of boiling water. Make sure the water is at least one inch above the top of the jars…




Process (boil the jars) for 15 minutes. Remove from canner and let them cool….




I still had about 12 pounds of cabbage left. I decided to can just plain cabbage. SO… here is my disclaimer… Today the USDA does not recommend canning cabbage. For various reasons. Mostly related to botulism concerns. Believe me I do understand this. However up until about 10 years ago canning cabbage was not a problem. If you ever have botulism concerns about any of your home canned foods, you simply need to boil the food after you open the jars for a period of time. I have read anywhere from 3 to 15 minutes. Since my desire for this canned cabbage is to use it in homemade soups (which we eat a lot of during the fall/winter/spring months).. I know my cabbage will get cooked again, enough to alleviate any botulism concerns for me. All that to say, I am not recommending you can cabbage, you do what you feel is best for your family. I am just sharing what I did and why I personally have no problem with canning cabbage…

I began by chopping up my 12 pounds of cabbage into large pieces and added it to a large pot of boiling water….




I boiled it for 3 minutes. Then began to fill quart jars (I put 1 teaspoon of salt into the bottom of each jar)…




Then added boiling water and left 1 inch of head space…




I removed air bubbles, added more water if necessary, wiped the rim, put on a lid and ring and put them in my canner…




I canned the cabbage at 10 pounds pressure (for my elevation) for 55 minutes. And that was it…



 

28 comments:

  1. I have never canned before and would love to give it a try. Someone told me after you have the jars ready instead of boiling you could put them in a heated oven in a cake pan to seal the jars, every try that?

    Thanks,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, oven canning is not considered a safe way to can anything. It is important to follow safe canning procedures to insure your family does not get sick. You can find information on canning here: http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  2. I want to Pin this recipe, Crystal. Does blogger provide Pinterest buttons? Want to try it enough, though, that I'm going to do it the long way ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you through pinterest...this is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh at myself when reading this post. I was all excited because one of my cabbages got to a little over 6 pounds. For some reason I don't do well growing cabbage. Maybe someday I will get a 25 pound one. What kind of cabbage do you grow? I make the cabbage salad, but mine is frozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl... It was 4 cabbages equaling 25lbs.. :D .. My biggest was about 9lbs.. I bought them as starters in the spring. I also have not had a lot of luck with cabbages in the past so I decided to give starters a try. Much better experience. The variety was called: Copenhagen Cabbage and it was organic.

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you Thank you for posting this. My husband is from El Salvador and we eat a lot of pickled cabbage (cortido) and I've been thinking of trying to can it. When I make it fresh it is basically the same recipe you posted except instead of mustard/celery seed I use oregano. Oh and onions. Adding this to my canning list for week after next. Taking a week off work to do some canning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I've made cortido and LOVE it!! Good luck with your canning! :)

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't been on this site for a while and was reading through some old posts. I almost laughed out loud when I read this. The FDA says not to can cabbage because of health concerns, have they not checked out all the preservatives they OK for all that packaged food on the shelf? I appreciate you being so responsible when you post, but I know you must find that as amusing as I do;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Raychel.. yes I do.. :D .. Just have to cover my hiney.. you know? ;) :)

      Crystal :)

      Delete
    2. Can I put cabbage in a pressure caner?

      Delete
  7. Yes you need to Pressure can it at 10 pounds of pressure for 55 minutes

    ReplyDelete
  8. How much water do you put in the pressure caner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I put in about 2 or 3 inches..

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for your posts. I'm just starting with my canning adventures and did six pints jalepenos peppers last night. Turned out beautiful. Now, on your plain cabbage, I want to do that next. I don't have a pressure canner, I use the water bath method. How long would you recommend I process the cabbage using the water bath method? 15 minutes? Thanks so much. Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela.. you can not can plain cabbage in a water bath canner... big no, no.. All low acid foods (which is all veggies)must be canned in a pressure canner. Botulism is very big concern if food is not canned using the proper methods. You can do pickled cabbage in a water bath canner (that would be the first recipe). The addition of vinegar raises the acid levels high enough that the jars can be canned in a water bath canner safely ...
      http://www.cdc.gov/features/homecanning/
      http://www.pickyourown.org/botulism.htm

      Crystal

      Delete
  10. I have read and been told not to use a water bath when canning vegetables, unfortunately I had already canned some collard greens using this method. I recently opened a container and it was fine - I believe that the vinegar was the key (it's been 1 yr.). My aunt (an experienced canner) told me that if the liquid bubbles when you open the jar or if is smells "sour" discard it. Following learning this information, I invested in a pressure canner and have been canning everything I can think of. I bought it at walmart for about $65 and there was a very helpful booklet that came with it.

    Shanett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shanett, Unfortunately botulism can not be seen or smelled.. which is one reason it is so deadly.. If you added vinegar to your collard greens than you may have upped the acid levels enough to be safe. Good job on the pressure canner.. if you can your own foods, they are very much worth the expense for your family's safety.. Crystal :)

      Delete
  11. Are you using a pressure canner when you do the normal cabbage that you use for soup? Or a normal water bath one? I have a lot of cabbage I want to harvest before the frost hits and I have already made frozen meals of cabbage rolls and dehydrated some to add to soup but that take a long time to dehydrate since Ive only got one and canning is fun lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must use a pressure canner for the cabbage You must can all low acid foods (all veggies, meat, fish, etc) with a pressure canner. Crystal :)

      Delete
  12. HELP!!!!!! I just canned cabbage like a dummy using a water bath method. Now my jars are coming unsealed. Can I recan them in a pressure canner? If so how do I do this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they been canned for awhile, unfortunately I would have to say.. dump them. It is not worth the health risks to your family... All vegetables must be canned in a pressure canner..

      Delete
  13. Hi after you canned your cabbage did it turn an off color? more on the brown side? I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing,,,

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can as well and I have not had a problem with canning cabbage, especially pickled cabbage or chow chow. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How do you use your pickled cabbage?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crystal..... great info. If things are done properly, botulism is not a problem. Here's the rub though, if botulism toxin IS present, boiling will not help. Boiling will kill the botulism bacteria but not their chemical by-product. It's the like trying to neutralize chlorine bleach for consumption by boiling.....its still not safe to ingest. Just wanted to pass that on, hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)