Breakfast Week! Crockpot Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal



I’ve wanted to try cooking oatmeal in a crockpot for a long time now. I’ve read mixed reviews on this recipe. One thing I learned was that if you use regular cooking oats you will end up with a gooey porridge mess. So I made this using steel cut oats. Steel cut oats are basically the oat grain, also called groats.

To make rolled oats, which most are more familiar with, the groats are put through an oat roller. The thinner they are rolled is what determines if your oats are regular cooking, quick cooking or instant. Steel cut oats are the oat groat that has been cut into small size pieces. They take longer to cook than rolled oats. That is why they work well for crockpot oatmeal.

You can find steel cut oats in some grocery stores, health food stores or online.

This was super good and my family really enjoyed it.  It seems to be showing up on my breakfast rotation weekly now because it is so easy to make.  There's nothing like waking up to a hot breakfast ready to serve.  


Now for the recipe….
 
 


Crockpot Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopped up
1 cup steel cut oats
1 ½ cups milk
1 ½ cups water
3T brown sugar, Sucanat or honey
2T butter
½ t cinnamon
¼ t salt

Grease a 3qt crockpot (I use coconut oil for this). Add all ingredients. Stir. Cover and set on low. Let this cook for 7 to 8 hours. If it cooks longer it just gets a little more crusty around the edges but won’t be a problem otherwise. Enjoy as you would a bowl of oatmeal adding extra milk or sweetener to your desired taste. 

This recipe can be doubled and cooked in 6qt crockpot pot.

 
 
Print This Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/homemakingonthehomestead/crockpot-apple-cinnamon-oatmeal?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2F&showPrintDialog=1
 

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Oh it is!! I should have mentioned in the recipe that I've also used real maple syrup in place of the sweetener called for.. Crystal :)

      Delete
  2. I just want to tell you how much I've been enjoying and appreciate your breakfast recipes this past week! I enjoy your blog every day, but this has been a real treat - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good.. so glad to know you are enjoying it.. I'll have to share more after the holidays!! :D Crystal :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub