Canning Spaghetti Sauce


If your garden is overflowing with tomatoes you might like to can a batch of spaghetti sauce!

************************




You'll need 20#'s of tomatoes for this recipe. 



My favorite type of tomatoes are Roma Tomatoes. They are not as juicy as other varieties and are great for all types of tomato based sauces. 

I also do not peel my tomatoes. I cut them up and puree them in my food processor. I've never had a problem doing it this way. It saves a LOT of time! 

After pureeing the tomatoes I put everything in a large 14 quart pot along with more of the ingredients and let this simmer away for a couple hours..

 
Add the tomato paste and it's ready to can up! Due to the vinegar and lemon juice in this recipe it can be canned in a boiling water bath. 

Remember to use safe, basic canning procedures. If you're not familiar with water bath canning you can find information HERE

 
*************************************



Spaghetti Sauce (for canning)

20lbs tomatoes
3 medium onions, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
2 cups chopped mushrooms
2T minced garlic
6T salt
3T Italian seasonings
1T oregano
1 cup red wine vinegar
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
3 – 12oz cans tomato paste

Wash & chop tomatoes in a food processor (peeling is optional). Put in large pot (I use a 14qt pot). Add remaining ingredients, except tomato paste. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 2 hours. Add tomato paste and mix in well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for another 45 minutes.

Put hot spaghetti sauce into hot quart jars. Process in a boiling water bath for 40 minutes.

Makes approx 10 to 11 quarts

Comments

  1. This is my favorite and the spaghetti sauce I used and can.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub