Wednesday on the Homestead (formally known as Wednesday Snap Shot)




I'm feeling ready for a change on my weekly Wednesday post. A new picture and a new name, but that's all that is changing. I loved the cozy feel of this picture that my daughter sent me and knew it would be a great change for my Wednesday posts. So grab a cup of coffee or tea and come visit.

Now onto my week. So we've been sailing through winter nice and easy. Then all of a sudden, BOOM! We seem to have gotten an entire winter in a week!

We got the one big storm that dumped a lot of snow on us. You can see my picnic table (and a few more pictures) on my deck to get an idea of how much snow we got..




Hubby was at work when it really started coming down. He decided to leave early so he could make it home safely. The trip is usually about 40 to 45 minutes. It took him nearly 2 hours to get home. He said it was white out conditions at times because so much snow was falling and he was thankful he knew the roads as well as he does (he's been driving the same route for 22 years) because there was so much snow everywhere it made it hard to see where the road was at times. Thankfully he did make it home safe and sound.


They were able to clear the highway and he plowed our driveway and was able to get in to work the next day. Yesterday more snow and then freezing rain came in and made everything everywhere a big mess around here. Hopefully when we get on the other side of this, our winter will be done for the year!

Prior to the big snow falling I had a lovely afternoon with my grandchildren and children. It was a fun visit and here are a couple pictures from our day.. 

 
 


Goals
The highway is cleared and they plowed the roads around us so I guess it's time to head into town to get some groceries today. I'm almost out of half & half for my coffee, which means we're almost at a crisis point! :D ha, ha..

When I get home I'll take care of a few other chores:

~Clean my floors – with the winter snow, wet, and mud, a lot gets tracked in.
~Finish up one load of laundry and do another one


That's about all I have planned other then dinner preps. I have a BBQ planned and I'll see if Hubby still wants to do that or if not, maybe I'll cook up a big pot of chili instead.


For the Love of Books!
With all the craziness of the weather hitting us my reading kind of took a backseat. I've made very little progress on The Swiss Family Robinson.


Frugal Living Practices
I'm sharing another remake of leftovers with you this week. It's my ongoing effort to prevent food waste, and be resourceful and frugal with what I have.  

I had about 2 cups of leftover buttered macaroni noodles from a previous meal. I wanted to dress them up a bit (instead of just butter and seasonings) to go with the sausages I was frying up. 


So I made a small batch of alfredo sauce. Alfredo sauce is pretty easy. It's equal parts butter and cream cheese, heated up, melted, mixed together and then you add milk until you have the consistency you want. The last step is to add a small handful of parmesan cheese (I use fresh and keep it in the freezer, the parmesan from the bottle would work too). Then add salt and pepper to taste.

I added onions to my melted butter to soften before adding the cream cheese. Since I only wanted a small batch I melted about 2T butter and the same of cream cheese. This turned out really good and we finished off the noodles with dinner that evening.






Fitness and Health
The snow, ice and cold has put a real dent in my steps this week. Hopefully we're getting out of this and I can get back to my daily walks and meeting my goals. 
 

View from my Deck
Still a snow covered view. The clouds make it hard to even see the mountains across from me. 

 

Things seem to be warming up, which is great! I'm looking forward to it :)

Today's weather: High: 40 Low: 31



That's all for this week my friends,
Crystal

Comments

  1. We're on our third or fourth week of bad winter weather after not having much of anything until Mid-January. Most schools were closed 2 full weeks and even a couple of days this week. Lots of ice, snow, wind and sleet. It's cold but not as cold as it was a couple of weeks ago. We fill pitchers of water every night before bed in case we lose power. We have a gas stove but no fireplace in our home. We have lot of blankets and we live near enough to family so we could go somewhere else if the power is out for a long period of time.

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing.

    Thanks also for the suggestion on making alfredo sauce to use up noodles. I generally make up too many noodles when cooking and often at a loss as to what to do with them. My go to is macaroni salad but will try the alfredo. It looked delish!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub