Yummy Breakfast Casserole


I get in these moods and try something new and then make it over and over because everyone seems to love it so much. That is the case for this breakfast casserole. It is so good, and (at least I think) so good for you. I make it for my family at least once a week and it lasts for a couple of days (sometimes 3 if my teenage eating machine son is not here.. :) .. I like it most of all because it is not your typical bread based breakfast casserole (never have liked those) and it is versatile. You can use a variety of veggies in it and it tastes good each time. I listed the veggies I use most often when I make it. You can add or omit other veggies instead. Here is my recipe…

Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
1 sweet potato (medium to large size), peeled and grated (grating it with a food processor makes it easy)
2T butter
1 medium onion, chopped
½ of a red or green pepper, chopped
3 large mushrooms, sliced
½ cup (or so) sliced celery
1 lb sausage (such as Jimmy Dean)
12 eggs
½ to 1 cup grated cheese of your choice, optional (I’ve made it with and without cheese, tastes good either way)
Salt & pepper, to taste

Lay grated sweet potato on the bottom of a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with non stick spray. Heat a large frying pan on medium high and add butter. When butter has melted add veggies. Stir and cook until veggies begin to soften. Add sausage and cook until veggies are tender and sausage is completely cooked. Spread the veggie/meat mixture on top of the sweet potatoes.

In a large bowl crack eggs and mix well (like you would for scrambled eggs). Add grated cheese and mix. Add salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over sweet potato/veggie/meat mixture. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes until eggs are set. Serve with a bit of salsa on top and a breakfast smoothie to go along with it for a delish meal that will keep everyone happy and full for a very long time!

Here it is in pics…

Gather ingredients together…




Prepare veggies..




Lay grated sweet potatoes in the bottom of a 9x13 pan…




Cook veggies until they begin to soften..




Add sausage and cook until veggies are soft and sausage is cooked through.




At this point I remembered I had some grated zucchini leftover from muffin making in the fridge and I added that too (like I said the recipe is versatile) ..






Layer the veggie/meat mixture over the sweet potatoes…




Mix up the eggs in a bowl (add the cheese if you want.. I added a handful of grated mozzarella cheese to this batch)…




Pour eggs over veggies & meat…




Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes or until the egg is set…




Enjoy!!!



Comments

  1. This looks delicious!! I think I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome Donna... hope you enjoy it!

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  2. That looks really good. I'm trying to limit the amounts of bread I'm eating and I think I can alter this to match the doctor's recommendations. Definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been noticing fewer grains (wheat/rice...)in your meals. I think it's AWESOME, but I was wondering if this was on purpose or just a coincidence. Thanks for sharing your beautiful blog! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... it is on purpose! :) ... Have had a few issues that a grain reduced diet seems to be helping.

      Crystal :)

      Delete
    2. I can't even tell you how happy this makes me!! Our meals feel a little sad without the LOVE that homemade bread/muffins/biscuits bring to the table. But your meals feel warm, cozy and full of love even without the baked goods!

      Delete
  4. I made this and it was very good. Thank you for sharing the recipe! I keep cooked sausage in the freezer which made this a very quick meal. We made it for a breakfast dinner and served it with pancakes! Yummy!

    I like using the sweet potatoes during the fall and I want to try regular potatoes maybe during the summer! Have a wonderful thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub