Canning 3 Bean Salad



On evening Sunday my kids and I picked the first big batch of green beans and more yellow wax beans. 



Yesterday I canned 3 bean salad… well actually I canned 4 bean salad using my 3 bean salad recipe. You can find my recipe here: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/3beansalad.htm 

We (my youngest 2 children & I)… started the morning by snapping our beans. Then I sliced up my onions and peppers (I used red peppers instead of green as stated in the recipe). Yesterday I cooked up garbanzo beans and red beans and put them in the fridge in prep for doing this…




I began by combining my vinegar, lemon juice and sugar and brought this to a boil..




Then I added the oil, salt and water (forgot to take a pic of adding the water)…

 


Then began by adding my green beans…




Then my yellow wax beans (I cut the amount of red beans in the recipe in half and added yellow wax beans for the other half)…




Then the red beans…



The garbanzo beans..




Finally the onions and peppers…

 



I brought this to a boil and let simmer for a few minutes. I should mention at this point that my orginal recipe says to blanch the green beans and I don’t do that, and the recipe says to marinate the 3 bean salad overnight… I don’t do that either as I don’t have the refrigerator space for this. 




While this was being made I washed my jars and filled them with hot boiling water and they were waiting in the sink for me to fill…




Then I filled my jars and put a lid and ring on each jar…

 



As I filled each jar I put it in my canner. As you can see with only one jar the water does not cover the jar.. but this is not a problem. As the rest of the jars are added the water level rises…

 



You boil the jars for 30 minutes. I made a triple batch of this recipe…






 

Comments

  1. Your bean salad looks delicious and all those green beans...ahhhh, love those.

    I have a question about canning. I usually freeze as there is NO cool space around here in the summer and fall. I have checked every closet and cabinet throughout the cottage...no luck as they all are on the west side of the cottage. Once given a water bath, would the temp of where the jars are stored matter to much? I am running out of freezer space.

    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill you may want to think of non tradtional places to store your jars like in boxes under beds or a bathroom closet or something similar. When the weather cools down for winter and spring you can move them to the closets.. Just a thought.

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  2. I canned this again after getting the recipe from last year and it's excellent!!! It's now on my annual canning list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy.. so happy you've enjoyed the recipe! It is one our favorites!

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is a water bath recipe? I would have thought it a pressure canner recipe. I guess the vinegar makes it acidic enough to be safe? Looks good. I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie.. it has vinegar and lemon juice for the needed acid.

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  4. Can you substitute red wine vinegar for the white vinegar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why does it have such a long water bath? I usually only see 10-15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG this is a perfect recipe! I canned this recipe a couple of weeks ago and just opened a jar to test them. I'm on my way to the store to buy kidney beans to make this again! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't find the recipe on the website. Is it elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, I no longer have my website and way to many blog pages to update. But here is the recipe:

      6 cups green beans
      6 cups cooked red beans
      4 cups cooked garbonzo beans
      2 large sweet onions, peeled and sliced thin
      2 large green peppers, seeded and sliced
      2 cups white vinegar
      1 cup lemon juice
      3 cups sugar
      1 cup oil
      2 t canning salt
      5 cups water

      Wash green beans, snap off ends and cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces. Blanch and cool immediately. Prepare and set aside all other veggies. In a large stock pot, combine vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and water. Bring this to a boil and remove from heat. Add the oil, and salt, mix well. Add beans, onions, and green pepper to the mix and bring to a simmer. Marinate for 12 to 14 hours in the refrigerator. When marinating is over, heat entire mixture to a boil. Fill clean jars with the mixture. Add any amount of the hot liquid necessary to bring the level of the jars to ½ inch from the top. Put clean lids and rings on and process in a boiling water bath for 30 minutes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub