Crockpot Sausage Veggie Frittata



Yesterday I had a busy day in the kitchen. I unexpectedly had extra people for dinner so I did a bit of menu plan change around and came up with a nice little buffet of food to serve to everyone. Plus my daughter in law was treating us to a yummy pot of chicken adobo to add to our buffet. One of the dishes I made was a sausage vegetable frittata. Since my oven was being occupied by a few different foods I decided to try cooking my frittata a little differently, I used the crockpot instead. I was very happy with how it turned out and will be doing this again.

I thought this dish was pretty simple to prepare and tasted very good. You could use any combo of veggies you wanted it in and even skip the sausage if you did not want that. I used cheddar cheese in it, but thought mozzarella would taste good too. It is an easy dish to play around with. It would make a great breakfast served with muffins or cinnamon rolls and fruit.


Crockpot Sausage Veggie Frittata
3T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
4 to 5 mushrooms, sliced
3 cups spinach leaves
¾ lb sausage (such as Jimmy Dean brand)
8 eggs
1 cup grated cheese
salt & pepper, to taste

In a large frying pan heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add sausage and continue cooking until sausage is no longer pink. Add spinach and stir and cook until spinach wilts. Turn off heat.

Grease a large (5 to 6quart) crockpot very well, along the bottom and about half way up the sides. Spoon veggie sausage mixture into crockpot.

In a large bowl combine eggs, cheese, salt & pepper. Whip mixture until well combined. Pour egg mixture over veggie sausage mixture. Put lid on crockpot and cook on HIGH for 1 hour to 1 ½ hours or until egg is set.



Here it is in pictures….

Prepare your veggies…




Heat a large frying pan up and add enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Add the veggies and let them cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the sausage and cook until the sausage is no longer pink. Add the spinach and stir around and let it cook. Turn the burner off and let it sit..












In a medium size bowl combine eggs, cheese, salt & pepper. Set aside…




Grease a 5 or 6 qt crockpot on the bottom and half way up the sides really well. I first used coconut oil to grease my pan and then sprayed some non stick spray as well. I really don’t want my eggs sticking to the sides or bottom of the crockpot. Otherwise it will end up being scrambled eggs and not a frittata!!


Spoon the veggie sausage mixture into the bottom of the crockpot.




Pour the egg cheese mixture on top of this…



Put the lid on the crockpot and cook on HIGH for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 ½ hours .. the egg should be set. It will appear a little on the juicy side because of all the veggies and cheese in it.. but the eggs should be firm..






Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness!! I have to try this. It looks so easy and is so pretty and colorful. I've been wanting to use my crock pot more, but don't have a lot of recipes.
    Thanks so much Crystal. Even my hubby loves your site. Thanks again. Have a nice day. Blessings!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub