Using my Zucchini


I spent yesterday afternoon in the kitchen dealing with my zucchini (and cooking dinner :) .. I did not have enough to can or turn into pickles and such. But it did need to be dealt with. Here is what I did…

I had this huge one….



I have no idea how Isaac and I both missed this one.. one day there is nothing, a couple days later there are a few almost ready.. then wham.. I think this was hiding .. LOL.. When they get this big, honestly the best use I’ve found for them is to cut them up and freeze them to use in Veggie Broth. I often save my veggie scraps to make veggie broth. Last year I cut up and froze several for this purpose and used them all. So I chopped up this monster and ended up with 3 gallon bags….



Then I took a few more (reasonable sized) zucchini and cut them in half, scooped out the seeds, sautéed them and put them on a tray to flash freeze.



I explained this process here

Finally I took another zucchini and made a double batch of Chocolate Zucchini Bread batter. Instead of making it into 2 loaves of bread, I divided it between 2 dozen muffin pans (baked them at 350 for about 20 to 25 min). I set out a few to eat, but the rest went into the freezer…



Finally Sierra chopped up one and made zucchini pesto pasta (shown here with the baked pork chops we had last night)….


 
To make the zucchini pesto pasta Sierra cooks about 10 to 12 oz of any type of pasta.  While that is cooking she chops up some zucchini and onions (a smallish to medium size zucchini and about 1/4 cup chopped onion) and sautés this in a little butter.  Then she makes the pesto sauce.  She uses THIS recipe.  When the pasta has finished cooking she drains it and puts it back in the pot she cooked it in and adds the zucchini/onion mix and pours pesto sauce over it all.  Very easy and oh so good! 


Comments

  1. Yum! We had a pot pie tonight. I used your mixture of butter and coconut oil suggestion to make the crusts. I didn't have wheat pastry flour ground so I used all purpose. This was the first crust I have ever had turn out so pretty! It was a huge hit with my family! Thanks for sharing all you do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub