Bread & Butter Zucchini Pickles


May tomatoes may not be doing so great this year but my zucchini and yellow summer squash are forcing me to work hard to keep up with them! LOL!! I had another bowl full of squash staring at me so I took the smaller sized ones and made bread & butter pickles and the larger ones I cut them into chunks and filled 2 more gallon size bags for the freezer (to use in veggie broth). As of now, until I pick more, I am on top of my zucchini game! :)

Here is the recipe (oh and there was a few left that did not fill a jar so we all taste tested those.. tastes like regular bread & butter pickles.. )

Bread & Butter Zucchini Pickles

16 cups sliced zucchini (I used both zucchini and yellow squash)
4 cups thinly sliced onions
½ cup non iodized salt (I used sea salt)
6 cups white vinegar
3 cups sugar
6T mustard seed
3T celery seed
3t turmeric


Put zucchini and onions and salt in a large pan. Cover with water and let sit for 2 hours. Drain thoroughly and rinse. Combine vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil and add zucchini/onions and simmer for 5 minutes. Fill pint jars and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Approx. 7 pints.




 

Comments

  1. Good grief! You have been busy! I never did get the 'homemaker' gene like you have:-) I admire women like you. My mother is one but not me :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread and butter pickles always smell so good but I just don't like them...I wish I did. My family can't get enough of 'em. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub