Functioning in Dysfunction



I like being organized. I like when things in my home function well. As my family life has changed over the years (from babies & toddlers to young people to teens and older kids).. my systems of organizing things have changed too, at least in some areas. I recently decided to give my laundry room a good cleaning. Last year I organized the pantry shelves and cleaning supplies and such. But I was still fighting with a few things in there, such as my vacuum cleaner, my Sh-mop, empty laundry baskets, etc.. it seemed I was shoving and stuffing these things and fighting with them when I needed them. That is when I realized that often times we will learn to function in dysfunction (I'm not talking about major dysfunction, just small things that can cause frustration and we don't realize it). We don’t really see the issue and we just keep working with a system that obviously does not work well… but it works enough to adapt to it or to function within the dysfunction.




My personal challenge for my home as I usher in 2012 is to start taking a better look at the way things are functioning and determine if it is working well.  Each time I am trying to accomplish something within one of my household systems I will ask myself the Dr. Phil question.. “So how’s that working for you?” ~smile~ .. and then set out to determine a better method if needed.




My first stop is my kitchen cupboards. I will post about this in the next week (hopefully.. if life goes according to my plans!! :).. I have a few areas of dysfunction that we have all learned to function in. The other day as I was getting a coffee cup it came to me that I had us all walking to the other end of the kitchen from the coffee pot to get to the cups. To change this will require changes in a few other cupboards but I think when I am done it will function much better. I will keep you updated on my progress!!

Comments

  1. Your pantry sounds like mine!(imagine ALSO fitting a well-meant-husband gift of a shop vac-that did go to shop eventually)

    Every time I make bread and travel from one side of my kitchen to the other I remind myself of one of your organizing tips I haven't given in to, like having a baking station. but I can say can say my coffee cups are close to the coffee maker...hope this doesn't reflect on my priorities!
    Looking forward to your updates - they always encourage me to get with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those moments where it is like a slap in the face, lol. I have had an empty spot in my cabinet over my coffee pot for weeks. Now I know exactly what I am going to place in there!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having an effecient kitchen, meaning, making as few steps as possible while doing a task, is something my home ec teachers successfully taught me. However, they didn't teach me anything about routines or check balancing, etc. I suppose they thought that we all had that down before coming to class. My mother never taught me how to clean, organize, so I have everything in the right places, but I struggle with the every day cleaning and putting things away. I think you're ahead of me, Jennifer and Jessica. Thanks for your blog. I enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have recently found myself re-evaluating my kitchen area as well. How much time to I run around getting the supplies I need...they are usually not in the most handy spaces. I like to look at it as trial and error. Find what works and what doesn't...
    I do have a question for you. In your recipe for your Mom's basic bread...what size bread pans do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Monica! My pans are 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches. 9x5 inches would work as well..

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to hearing more on this subject as I am working on organizing and cleaning every room in our house (and outside too).
    Happy New Year Crystal--God bless you and yours.
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to fall in and get some organizing done this year. We moved mid summer and we've finally been in the new place long enough that I know "how" I need things to function. I've just got to undo the original disorder...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck getting life to go to your plans...Its great when it does. I am looking forward to reading your orgainzing tips as I am in the process of doing the exact same thing with kids getting older and moving out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in! I am in the same mode - make things function better. The bigger problem that I have is . . Every cabinet is overstuffed. With one child out of College and one nearing driving, I don't need 6 - 9x13 Pyrex dishes! :) or Do I?? I am clearing out! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub