Pizza Chili


Sometimes I like to come up with a new twist on an old favorite meal. This is the case with this recipe. A couple of weeks ago I did a beef veggie chili that was really good and this week I was wanting to try putting two favorite food flavors together, pizza & chili. The verdict: it was awesome! My family ate it up and raved about it. 

This recipe is also very versatile.. you can add more veggies or more beans if you want to stretch the meal to feed more people.  You can vary the types of veggies you use as well.  When choosing the veggies for this meal I thought of the toppings we would normally put on pizza. 

Here is the recipe:

Pizza Chili
1 to 2 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red or green pepper, chopped
4 to 5 mushrooms, sliced
1 lb hamburger
½ lb sausage
1 qt spaghetti sauce
4 cups cooked beans, any type (red, black, pintos, etc)
3oz pepperoni, sliced and chopped, roughly
2 cups bean broth (from cooked beans)
1T Italian seasonings
salt & pepper to taste
mozzarella cheese for garnish

It is best to begin this meal earlier in the day by cooking your beans first. You can find information on cooking beans HERE.

In a large stock pot (6 to 8 qt) cook meat and veggies until meat is no longer pink and veggies are soft. Add spaghetti sauce, cooked beans, seasonings and pepperoni. Let simmer to blend flavors. Serve in bowls and garnish with cheese.

And here is how I made it:

I started earlier in the day by cooking up a pot of pinto beans...



After the beans are cooked up the rest of meal goes together fairly quickly. I chopped up my veggies first. You can use any type of veggies you want.. mostly think of the veggies you like on your pizza. I was going to also add sliced olives but discovered I was out of olives (it is now on my grocery list for next week!)…



After the veggies were chopped I heated up my stock pot and added a little olive oil and began to cook up my veggies and meat. Then I added the cooked beans…



And the pepperoni..



Finally I added the spaghetti sauce, bean broth and spices. I did not need to add any salt because I salted my beans when I cooked them and the mild saltiness of the broth was just right…



This was sooo good and will appear on my menu again! I served it with some whole grain crackers and a salad. I was going to serve it with dinner rolls which I think would have gone better with it but I ran out of time to make them.

 

Comments

  1. I'm a newcomer to your site, and I love it. You are so inspiring and when I need a lift I look at it. Thanks for all your great info and recipes. Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm sounds pretty good! You always amaze me how you through stuff together. I am a cook that needs a recipe. Thanks for working them out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Crystal, I made this the other night and it was so good ! I had to make it with canned beans, because I was in a rush. I also added zucchini and summer squash. It was great ! We ate ours with cornbread. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub