I’ve had 8… you will survive.. I promise..




I just read a post from a friend who has 3 kids and is pregnant with her 4th. She has been sick and the kids are suffering from cabin fever and she is exhausted. Oh my, can I relate! She was so happy for bedtime.. yep, I can relate! As I read posts similar to this (as one I saw recently.. I’ve had 3 and survived)… it is a challenge!! I read these posts and think about my life with 8 kids.. I had 6 of them in 9 years and 8 in less than 15 years… I just kind of sigh… yes! It is hard.. it is work, it is a challenge! No doubt!! But at the end of the day… you will survive.. and every minute is worth it! So.. hang in there mom..


Challenges.. I get it… first child starts throwing up… I’m up all night with him.. then I get it.. I’m throwing up now.. and the next child gets it.. I’m up another night with them (and me too)… then the next 2 or 3 or 4 kids get it… everyone is racing to the bathroom or their bowls (we’ve only ever had one bathroom)… and then just when I think it may be over.. I get it again.. after 10 days I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel.. I spend the next day or two washing sheets, sanitizing everything in sight.. I get it..
 

Three kids in less than 3 years (and they were numbers 3, 4, & 5).. sleepless nights, nursing constantly.. 3 still in diapers (cloth no less).. 2 homeschooling… yeah.. I get it!


Six homeschooling, a baby, a toddler.. lots of work.. lots of my time.. yeah I get it!!!


Meals everyday.. breakfast, lunch, dinner.. and when feeding 10 people every day there is no such thing as ‘fast food’… every meal is a labor.. oatmeal (and LOTS of it.. it is cheap & filling).. lunch.. soup started at breakfast time, homemade bread started in the bread machine at breakfast, dinner.. whatever I can put together to feed 10 people and send with my hubby as he works hard every night (he has always worked graveyard shift)… fall into bed exhausted.. up the next day to do it again.. Yeah.. I get it!!


Is it easy? Is simple? NO!! It is work, and it is hard!! Would I do it again? .. have 8 kids if I could make that choice again? You BET!!!!! So much of the hardships fall to the wayside when you see your child finally pee in the potty chair!!! Or finally “get it” with long division! Or cook their first meal for the family.. or listen to them as they recite an entire chapter of the Bible that you have been working with them on forever… or when they hug you and tell you how much they love you, a day spent reading and playing together, seeing my children reach their goals as adults.. is it worth it? Oh my goodness.. yes… I would relive every sleepless night for the joys that I have experienced!


And at times… just when you think you could not be blessed more.. you have grandchildren.. and your whole family gathers together at your home (their home growing up).. and you are surrounded by children, spouses, grandchildren… and somehow.. those sleepless nights, the sickness, the work, the struggles, melt into nothing.. because all you see is the blessings that God has given you!! " Blessed is the man that has his quiver full".. Psalm 127:5 .. Yeah.. I get it!!

Hang in there mom.. you can do this!! The blessings are there!! I promise…





 



Comments

  1. Thank you for saying it so eloquently! While I work that giant garden, wash more dishes than I ever knew I owned, and wonder if my eyebrows will grow back from that chemistry experiment gone awry, I try to remember that these children are the future. It is up to me to help make them educated, self-supporting, contributing members of society. And when they come home to me, that hug and kiss, that "Thanks, Mom!", makes my heart happy and all the work worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... yes Sydney... you got it!! Crystal :)

      Delete
    2. God Bless You!! I only had one, now 23, no incentive to worklives off of others and plays the "poor me" card all the time. She has BiPolar but refuses to take her meds. I did all those things, single mom, worked nights, stayed up most of the day for her,took her camping,made all the chorus concerts,tried to teach her values,went to church,I taught Sunday School (imagine being up for 24 hours then teaching Sunday School then going to church),did everything I could think of to be a good Mom and according to her it wasnt good enough. Uff da - after 5 years, she's moved back at my father's insistance (my lease says she can stay for 2 weeks only thank goodness). Still no job - claims to be looking. What do you do?

      Delete
  2. You have NO IDEA how much I needed to read this, it seems yesterday was a horrible day, everything went wrong, kids don't want to do school, dogs throwing up etc, I needed to see some form of encouragement so I can tackle my day today... thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you been watching me all of these years??? (just kidding) I too have 8 children! I had all of mine in 14 years and we have one sweet boy in heaven. A few years ago, we went through an enormous trial, our third son was diagnosed with leukemia,....he is doing very well now, but boy, do I get it! *To any mother who reads this, no matter how many children you have,.... "YOU can do it! HE will equip you and fill in all of the gaps along the way! TRUST HIM! :o) My love to every mother out there who is willing to follow Jesus and love her children as He calls you to. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comments show others "get it". So do I, folks are missing tremendous blessings by limiting the blessings they will accept from God! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, amen, and AMEN!
    Yes, it's worth it. Beyond worth it. I share your heart on this. I'm not to the grandchildren stage yet, but it's coming and I am looking forward to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post. From a fellow mom of 8 (children ages 3mo to nearly 19yo), I am right in the trenches. I could never have imagined it would be so hard, but I wouldn't trade it. Can I recommend a wonderful book that I am just beginning to read? It is Desperate: Hope for the Mom who Needs to Breathe by Sally Clarkson and Sarah Mae: http://www.amazon.com/Desperate-Hope-Mom-Needs-Breathe/dp/1400204666/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361899904&sr=8-1&keywords=desperate+sally+clarkson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uff da, God Bless you all - had a nice chat/break down with my dear friend/Pastor yesterday evening and God bless him, he gave me much encoragement and reminded me of the times I wore shoes that were duct taped together (in the winter) so my daughter would have shoes and boots, how I for two winters went without a proper winter coat (in northern WI) so she had snow pants and a coat, and that yes, I was a good Mom. I really needed to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Crystal. I needed this. Just had baby #8, and I've been feeling very overwhelmed and weary these past few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just what I needed to be reminded of today! I have 8 little ones, ages 8 and under and just found out I'm expecting baby #9--with homeschooling and everything else you mentioned, I've been feeling very overwhelmed lately--it was refreshing to see the larger picture from someone who's been there. It's easy to lose sight in the midst of the nit and gritty! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was such an honest and encouraging post. Many times you only read about the lighter side, the 'perfect' side some women let you see. This was real and refreshing :) Thank you! Blessings, Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this and definitely get it! I had my 7 in 10 years, and it's been just crazy at times. Currently, we have a sickness making the rounds, and I'm able to be here in bed, typing in between sneezes, because my blessings are out there taking care of the house and me. It's not so tough in some ways anymore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. That's all I can really say right now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for such an inspiring post! I have two and plan on accepting many more blessing from the Lord. It can be very hard at times, since my husband's job takes him away most of the time. However, I love each day I have with my children and feel so blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub