Canning Chili


On Saturday I had a nice burst of energy and decided to make and can up a big batch of chili. Oh how I love home canned meals ready to heat and eat on the shelf. They have made life so nice .. now if I am ever in a pinch for a meal due to life not happening the way I thought it would.. I head to my canning shelves and pull out a quart or two (depending on the need) of something yummy. Heat it and add a salad and some crackers or whatever I have available and it is dinner in 20 minutes or less.. nice :)

Currently I’ve been focused on garden canning and my ready to go meals were getting pretty slim. I decided that a few jars of chili would be good. I made the recipe by adapting my crockpot chili recipe and my regular chili recipe and combined it all into one recipe for canning.

Here is the recipe I came up with…

Chili for Canning
10 cups dried red beans (or a combo of your favorite beans, I like to use half red and half black beans)
2 ½ gallons water
10t salt
4lbs hamburger
3 large onions, chopped
6 to 7 stalks celery, sliced
2 large peppers- green or red, chopped
3 cans (14oz) diced tomatoes
2 cans (4oz) green chilies
3T chili powder
3t cumin
3T hot sauce, such as the brand Tabasco – if you don’t like spicy chili you can use less or omit

You will need a very large stock pot to make this chili in. I used a 14 quart pot. Begin by putting the beans, water and salt into (large) stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 1 ½ hours.

In an 8 quart stock pot combine hamburger, onions, celery and peppers. Cook until meat is no longer pick and veggies are soft.

When the beans have finished cooking (do not drain them) add cooked hamburger and veggies. Add remaining seasonings and stir to combine. Heat chili until hot. Ladle into hot sterilized quart canning jars. Put lid and ring on. Process jars for 90 minutes at 11 pounds of pressure. Adjust pressure according to your altitude: http://www.simplycanning.com/altitude-adjustments.html

This recipe makes approximately 14 quarts of chili



I started by cooking my beans. I used 5 cups black beans and 5 cups red beans. I let them cook for 1 ½ hours…




While the beans were cooking I cooked the hamburger and veggies…




When the beans were done cooking I added the cooked meat and veggies (I did not drain the beans). I added all remaining ingredients and heated until hot…




Then it was time to can the first batch. I filled 7 hot, sterilized canning jars with chili, then put on a lid and ring and put them in the canner. I canned the chili for 90 minutes at 11 lbs of pressure.





I had 4 jars that did not seal, I have 2 of them in the fridge to eat in the next day or so and put the other 2 jars worth in the freezer.

 


Comments

  1. I've never canned anything, though my Mom was the Queen of Canning. You inspire me to start, though the pressure canning is still scary. I think I'm close to trying it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal, you ARE an inspiration, just like Patty has said. I have such a cluttered house (do I dare admit) that I can't get to my canning supplies. I'm working on that, though. This idea of making ahead is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your ideas and work here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like a bowl of yummy, hot chili on a brisk fall day! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I want to can chili, did you soak your beans first before cooking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Elizabeth.. no I don't soak them..

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  5. Definitely need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. was up at 5am, starting this! my question, did you cover your beans while they were cooking? (i know, wierd question)I did, and my chili seems too watery...
    appreciate your blog, thank you!! lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, yes I covered them. You want it somewhat watery.. the beans will absorb some of the liquid when they are canned.

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  7. What kind of hamburger? Is 80/20 OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy Lean Ground Beef from Costco.. Crystal

      Delete
  8. Hi Crystal, My pressure canner only has 5, 10 & 15 lbs on it's pressure regulator weight. How do I accomplish 11 lbs pressure or do I adjust the time? We tried out your beef stew recipe that I had canned last week and it was a smashing success - everyone loved it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beans cook faster without salt,add later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience with this is that salt adds soooo much to the flavor of beans and the bean broth that I always add it from the beginning. I've never noticed that increased the cooking time.

      Delete
  10. if you have some that didn't seal how long to re seal with new lids

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub