Monday on the Homestead

 

 

Hope everyone had a blessed Resurrection Day! My girls and I made a nice dinner which consisted of pot roast, cheesy garlic potatoes, coleslaw, peas & corn and a chiffon cake. 

 

Now I am looking ahead at the week and see lots on my to-do list. I have been doing some spring cleaning. I started last week in my basement storage area. I have been going through all my storage totes and purging lots of stuff. I don’t desire to be a collector of stuff yet somehow despite my feelings on this I still end up with too much, and I don’t like it. Maybe after helping to clean out my grandmothers and step grandmother’s homes and last year my father in laws home I saw the huge accumulation of things that they acquired over the years.  We gave away and hauled to the Good Will and the dump lots of “stuff”. It made me wonder what is the purpose of “stuff”? How much time have I spent over the years, storing, going through, organizing and dealing with my stuff? I think our fascination with our possessions takes away from simple living. Granted we may need some of the things we hang on to, but how much is reasonable? That has been the question I ask myself with every shelf I clean, and with every tote I open up. Am I really going to need this again? If I feel it is something that has value and that I WILL use again, I keep it but if I question it, I am giving it away. The best part of it all is how free it makes me feel when I do this, showing me that yes indeed.. stuff certainly can be a burden. 

 

Aside from working in my basement some more I have school work to check up on with the kids and with their help we will get the house in nice shape. My older girls are already off to their babysitting jobs this morning so it will be me and my 3 youngest (which really aren’t so young any more.. they are 14, 12 and 10) doing the housework. In the afternoon Tobin and I have some errands to run (which includes taking several large bags of clothing to the Good Will drop off! ) and a few other things are on our list.. one of which is our traditional weekly stop at Starbucks!  

 

Hope you all have a great Monday on your homesteads!

Comments

  1. I recently did some spring cleaning too. I get overwhelmed easily with clutter. I ask myself the same questions you do and also, is there any sentimental value? Have I used it or worn it in the past year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder on "stuff". It made me think how we can't take it with us when we die!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really need to get spring cleaning started too. you have inspired me to get going on it.


    on another note, i was wondering about your opinion regarding the state of california ruling that homeschooling can only take place if the parent has a teaching license. i think it's grossly wrong, inappropriate and unamerican. i wonder what the parents will do to protest. and my question to you is.... what would you do if your state did the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. popping in to say hi Crystal!

    miss ya

    Dalyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, my friend!

    We are doing some of the same....getting rid of stuff. We just plain have too much stuff. So much so that we don't even know what we have, let alone use it....

    Have a fun week!!!


    Love ya!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal, we went through the same thing after my mom passed away. She had so much stuff! Wall to wall, closet full, cupboards overflowing, etc. That was a cure all for me. I decided that I didn't want to have so much stuff that if others had to go through and get rid of it would be overwhelming. Last summer we finished the big declutter. Now I will declutter a couple times a year to keep up on it and I am much more careful when shopping.....do I "really" need this! :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to let you know that I'm still alive...I read alot but don't comment much. :-) Your blog is ALWAYS intereting and entertaining!


    Blessings from Ohio, Kim Wolf<><

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to feeling free after getting rid of lots of stuff! I experienced this about 3 years ago when moving, and try my best to not get too much stuff accumulated ever since. There is so much less to worry about, when you have less. Before, I almost felt tied to my things. When I did the big purge, I could have gone anywhere and left almost everything. It was nice!


    Glad you had a wonderful Resurrection Sunday with your family. I hope you are all doing well and staying healthy!!


    Hugs,

    Jenn

    http://jennsnook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love spring for lots of reasons...but one, I declutter from all the winter and it feels good throw things away and give the rest to Goodwill.


    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crystal, just checking in! I love your blog and haven't seen a post in a while. Looking forward to hear what's up with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! you've been busy, all right!

    i'm trying to get up the nerve to teach myself to soap. all i've managed to this point is melt and pour lol but my day is coming!


    you were missed!


    warmly,

    jayedee

    http://lifeinthelostworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub