Menu Monday!



This week went OK. I went to cook up my spaghetti squash and realized I had waited to long and it was going bad :( .  It's a reminder to do better on keeping an eye on my food resources. At that point I had to come up with Plan B.  

I sent one of my homemade freezer meals to work with my hubby (one reason I'm so happy to keep up my supply of freezer meals).  And I had the hamburger already defrosted so I cooked it up and seasoned it with taco seasonings.  I used this and made myself a taco salad..


I enjoyed this so much.  I had it again the next night as well. 


The beautiful weather is making bbq's even more so desirable for hubby.  He'll bbq year round (rain and snow as well! :D ) but nice weather is even more incentive. We bbq'd burgers again this week..



On last week's menu I had pork chops, rice & gravy on one night and fried chicken & pasta on another night. I kind of did a combo of some of this. 

I baked some chicken legs and thighs (bone in, with skin) with seasonings. My favorite regular/basic seasonings are salt, pepper, season salt, granulated garlic and some Mrs. Dash.  I sprinkled this over my chicken..



I baked the chicken at 350 for 45 minutes.  While that was baking I got some of my homemade chicken broth/stock out of the freezer.  I defrosted it in the microwave. I had 4 cups of broth.  To this broth I added about 6 to 7 tablespoons of flour and whisked it up until there were no lumps. 



After I pulled the chicken out of the oven I poured the broth/flour mixture over all the chicken.  I put it back into the oven, raised the temp to 425 and let my smothered chicken cook for another 30 minutes until the liquid had thickened to a wonderful gravy.  



I served the gravy over brown rice and a salad on the side.  This was delicious! The chicken was flavorful and moist, the gravy so good. 



Then it was another steak bbq :)  I took pics of the meal before I had dished it up.  I had a salad and french bread on the side..


Finally last night I made hamburger alfredo sauce with angel hair pasta. This is a SUPER simple meal and went together so fast. 

I cooked up a pound of hamburger with some chopped onions and couple sliced mushrooms. I drained the grease and then added a 15oz jar of alfredo sauce. After I poured the jar of sauce in with the hamburger I added about a 1/2 cup milk and shook up the jar and added this to the meat/sauce. It's a good way to get all the sauce from the jar. 


While I was working on this I had 8oz of angel hair pasta cooking.  When it was done I drained it and added it to my meat/sauce and stirred it all up.

This was the alfredo sauce I used.  I bought 4 jars from Costco several weeks ago.  

 
And I tried this brand of whole grain angel hair pasta for the first time and was quite pleased with it...

 
 
 I served this meal with a salad and french bread that I still had left from the steak dinner (but somehow managed to not get it in the picture). I sprinkled a little mozzarella cheese on the top and a salad on the side..



This weeks plan...


I'm planning on 3 meals for this week.  I'm thinking this will give me flexibility and the ability to change things up at the last minute if I want to.  


Navy Bean & Ham Soup - I want to try out my home canned ham & stock for this meal. 

Aidells Sausage & Cabbage - I have one 1# package of sausages left to use and thought I'd fry it up with some onions and cabbage and serve potatoes of some sort with it along with a salad.

Chicken & Potstickers - I will bake my chicken with some Yoshidas to give it that Asian flavor and finish off the potstickers I have in the freezer. 

That should give me plenty to work with this week.

Crystal :) 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub