Canning Veggie Stock




After cleaning out my freezers I found several bags of vegetables that I had frozen from my garden for the purpose of making veggie stock. In order to save some freezer space I decided to use up all of the veggies and make a large pot of stock and then can it.

I know having stock canned on the shelf ready to use will be so nice. I often buy organic chicken stock from Costco because it is so convenient to have on hand. Now I’ll have my own shelf ready stock for soups and stews.

Veggie stock is very easy to make. I wrote a blog post on this awhile back. You can find the info on how to make it on my website HERE. In reality you can make veggie stock “almost” for free. If you save veggie peels, ends & pieces, limp look veggies that might otherwise get tossed until you have enough to make a batch of stock (1 to 2 gallons of veggies will make a lot of stock), then you are using food that would otherwise be thrown away to end up with food for the shelf that is almost “free”. What I do is have a gallon size zip lock bag in the freezer and use this to put the veggie bits in. When I have a couple full bags, it’s time to make stock. I also add an extra onion or two as well as garlic and salt.

After making my stock I then canned it. I ended up with 13 quarts and 1 pint jar. Canning stock is easy but you must can stock in PRESSURE CANNER… you can NOT can this in a boiling water bath. Vegetables are low acid foods and must be pressure canned.

When your stock it done, fill hot quart jars with hot stock. Put on a new lid and a ring. Pressure can the stock at 10 pounds pressure for 25 minutes. If you live at higher elevations make sure you adjust the pressure accordingly ( http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/p41.html#can )
 
(the weird look on the jars is reflection from the flash on my camera)



My next goal is to use up the beef soup bones in my freezer and make beef stock and can it.

 

Comments

  1. Thanks for this post! It's great reminder for me to make more. I love having canned food on my shelves. Blessings! Jamie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm looking forward to getting my beef stock done this coming week. Crystal

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to try this at home. Thank you so much for the recipe link and the pics.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub