Soup Week: Tomato Soup

 


This is the last of my Soup Week posts.  I still had Chicken Pot Pie Soup on my list to make but ran out of time and space in the week to make it.  I plan to make it soon and when I do, I'll share the recipe. 
 
When I stopped buying Campbell’s soups years ago the one soup I missed the most was tomato soup. It was a family favorite for lunch time. The MSG in the soup would really throw my hubby for a loop so it had to go. I was on a quest to find my own recipe that was simple to make and tasted delish. I figured it out. This is a standard soup I now serve often for lunch or a light dinner. Goes great with sandwiches or wraps.
 



Easy Creamy Homemade Tomato Soup

2 15oz cans diced tomatoes
2 cans (the ones from the tomatoes) whole milk
1T cane juice crystal’s (organic sugar) or regular white sugar
1 T butter
1/8 t. baking soda
Salt and pepper to taste

Open the cans of diced tomatoes and pour them into your blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into soup pot. Add the 2 cans of milk, stir and turn heat to medium. Add cane juice crystal’s and butter and warm the soup until the butter melts. Do not let the soup boil. Taste and add salt and pepper. Then add the baking soda. Stir and serve warm.
 

Comments

  1. This looks delicious! I love tomato soup, but am also trying to get away from canned. Definitely going to try this~~Thanks!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I have been missing tomato soup since we stopped buying canned soups. Perfect timing for me! My family and I will enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal,

    Great yummy post as usual and I can't wait to try it. I notice in your picture a wrap of some kind in the background. When you can would you mind passing along whats in it to include the tortilla used. Also, now that you only have 2 children still living at home do you still make homemade bread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, the wrap has beef, swiss cheese, lettuce, tomatoes in it. The tortilla are ones I've mentioned here on my site.. they are fresh tortillas that are cooked up in a frying pan.. I buy them from Costco. I don't make bread as often as I use to. I guess after years and years (and years ;) of making 6 to 12 loaves a week, I take a break from it every now and again.. :) Crystal

      Delete
    2. Thank you Crystal,

      I thought I was the only one who was taking a "break" from making the bread:)

      Delete
    3. Yep.. sometimes life is just that way.. :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like a wonderful recipe. Thank you! What is the baking soda for at the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanny, the baking soda helps reduce the acidity of the tomatoes.. Crystal :)

      Delete
  5. This is a great recipe....my family really enjoys it, especially my littles :) I started making it when I got one of your ebooks. Really enjoy them! Blessings, Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it Jamie!! It's one of our favorites too! :) Crystal

      Delete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub