Meatball & Veggie Soup


I had a box (Pacific brand, 1 quart) of chicken broth that I had bought over the holidays in case I needed it. I was out of chicken stock in my freezer. As it turns out I did not need it. So awhile back I used it make some yummy soup for us.

I started by making a batch of meatballs with 1 pound of hamburger. The recipe can be found HERE. The recipe is for meatloaf but I use it for meatballs as well… I mixed it, shaped the meatballs and baked them in the oven at 350 until they were done (20 minutes or so)….




While the meatballs were baking I chopped up some veggies. I used what I had on hand. But you could substitute any type of veggies you would like. I had about 6 to 8 cups or so of veggies. I used sweet potatoes, onions, celery, carrots and garlic (I also added spinach to the soup at the end). You could use regular potatoes, broccoli, corn, peppers, peas, mushrooms etc.. lots of options on this soup.



Then I heated up some olive oil in a 6 quart stock pot and added the veggies. I sautéed them up until the onions and celery were soft.



Then I added the 1 quart of chicken stock and added 4 cups of water….



I brought this to a boil and let is simmer until the carrots and sweet potatoes were cooked. Then I added the meatballs, a couple of handfuls of fresh spinach leaves. I let this simmer for a few minutes until the spinach was wilted. Finally I added a small amount of half n half, just enough to give the soup a creamy look and tasted it and adjusted the seasonings (added salt and pepper and few splashes of Tabasco to give it some kick)



I served this with some french bread slices and a green salad.
 

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I just canned seven quarts of sweet potatoes and I've been wondering what I was going to use them for. We can only eat so many candied yams...lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub