Canning another Round of Beef Stew


Earlier in the year I canned up some beef stew. It was so good and we ate it all up in no time. Last week I decided to get some more stew canned up. I use my canned foods so often that I’m inspired to continue canning convenience foods. It has been fantastic to have quick and easy option for feeding my family lunch and dinner.

You can find my step by step instructions for canning beef stew HERE.

This time the only changes I made to the above recipe was to add peas instead of the celery. I forgot to buy the celery when I was shopping and had some frozen peas in the freezer. I used about 3 cups of frozen peas between all the jars. I just let them sit on the counter to defrost a bit.

I started the day by making a batch of veggie broth. I had frozen veggies in the freezer for just this purpose. I used about 3 gallons of veggies and 3 gallons of water (plus salt) and let this simmer for about 6 hours. You can find my instructions on making veggie broth/stock HERE.

I made 14 quarts of stew. I had purchased 12 pounds of beef from Costco. I cut this up into chunks. I also used potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and the peas. I layered the veggies in the jar…



Poured my hot stock over the jars. Put on a lid and ring and canned them for 90 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure for my altitude. I had 2 pints worth of beef left from my 12 pounds. I stacked the 2 pint jars on top of my quart jars when I canned the second batch of stew.

I ended up with 14 quarts beef stew and 2 pints of beef



And had 4 quarts of veggie stock for the freezer when I was done..



 

Comments

  1. We tend to have the same problem at my house...we eat it just as fast as I can can it, haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really miss doing these things but I just haven't had any time! I also really miss my homestead blog. The last beef that we canned up was gone way too soon. I guess we are convience food eaters too. At least when it is available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. I am all for having foods canned to make cooking easier. I will be watching for beef to go on sale. Thanks for sharing this idea. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to learn how to do this. I did not know that meat could be canned at home this way. I guess that I have a lot to learn!

    Iam going to take advantage of your tutorial and give it a try. I will let you know next week how it turns out! Thanks for sharing and educating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Thank you for sharing this recipe ;)

    Also wanted to say that I love the new photo at the top of your blog, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cary.. my daughter Sierra gets the credit for the photo work.. :) Crystal :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing! Soooo yummy! I love having healthy convenience foods on hand. It's such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you store your canned beef stew and how long does it keep?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't need to cook the beef before canning it? Does the time in the pressure canner do the cooking for you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub