Tomato Starts – Update


My tomato plants are growing great!! I reached the point of “2 true leaves” and it was time to repot them. I did that this afternoon.

As you can see the plants are really growing! And had their first 2 true leaves (the sign that it is time to repot them)…
 


I began by removing the little mesh bag from the seed starting pellets…


I put them in pots that were 2 1/2 inches wide, 3 1/2 inches tall…


Then filled them with potting mix. I put the plants in the little pots and try to make sure I cover them with soil all the way up to the leaves. I have read this helps make a stronger root base…
 
 



I chose the plants that looked the strongest and healthiest. I had a few good plants that I had to dispose of because I don’t have any place to continue to grown them. My little growing space only holds so many plants. If I had more space I would keep them and give plants to friends so they did not go to waste.. but since I don’t, I get rid of them..


When they were all repotted I put them back under the lights and put water in the trays …

Garden planting time is still a little over a month away and I will be repotting these plants once more in a few weeks.   I'll keep you posted! :)

 
 

Comments

  1. Wow would have been better if you could share the plants you started with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes it would.. I would like to do that.. maybe one day my overworked hubby will have the time to make me another little box to grow my plants in.. Then I could keep more of them.. and even grow a few other types of plants.. :)

      Crystal :)

      Delete
    2. I'm curious why you bother removing the mesh before repotting?

      Delete
    3. It is supposed to disintegrate/decompose in the dirt.. but my experience has shown me otherwise.. :) I don't like cleaning it out of the garden beds in the fall.. so I just remove it now instead..

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Crystal,

    I have started a bunch of seeds also, I was so surprised at how quickly they "shot up". I will be doing some transplanting this weekend. I'm so glad I have a computer once again so that I can be back to blogging and visiting my favorite bloggers ;0)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What types of tomatoes did you plant? Almost all of mine sprouted and have already been transplanted. I also did lots of peppers they are growing wonderfully also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna.. they are called Plum Dandy and are Roma tomatoes..

      Delete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub