Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tomato Starts – Update


My tomato plants are growing great!! I reached the point of “2 true leaves” and it was time to repot them. I did that this afternoon.

As you can see the plants are really growing! And had their first 2 true leaves (the sign that it is time to repot them)…
 


I began by removing the little mesh bag from the seed starting pellets…


I put them in pots that were 2 1/2 inches wide, 3 1/2 inches tall…


Then filled them with potting mix. I put the plants in the little pots and try to make sure I cover them with soil all the way up to the leaves. I have read this helps make a stronger root base…
 
 



I chose the plants that looked the strongest and healthiest. I had a few good plants that I had to dispose of because I don’t have any place to continue to grown them. My little growing space only holds so many plants. If I had more space I would keep them and give plants to friends so they did not go to waste.. but since I don’t, I get rid of them..


When they were all repotted I put them back under the lights and put water in the trays …

Garden planting time is still a little over a month away and I will be repotting these plants once more in a few weeks.   I'll keep you posted! :)

 
 

7 comments:

  1. Wow would have been better if you could share the plants you started with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes it would.. I would like to do that.. maybe one day my overworked hubby will have the time to make me another little box to grow my plants in.. Then I could keep more of them.. and even grow a few other types of plants.. :)

      Crystal :)

      Delete
    2. I'm curious why you bother removing the mesh before repotting?

      Delete
    3. It is supposed to disintegrate/decompose in the dirt.. but my experience has shown me otherwise.. :) I don't like cleaning it out of the garden beds in the fall.. so I just remove it now instead..

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Crystal,

    I have started a bunch of seeds also, I was so surprised at how quickly they "shot up". I will be doing some transplanting this weekend. I'm so glad I have a computer once again so that I can be back to blogging and visiting my favorite bloggers ;0)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What types of tomatoes did you plant? Almost all of mine sprouted and have already been transplanted. I also did lots of peppers they are growing wonderfully also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna.. they are called Plum Dandy and are Roma tomatoes..

      Delete

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)