Friday, July 31, 2009

Gardens and Weeds…

 

So the biggest question that has come my way of late has to do with the lack of weeds in my garden and how I do this..  what is my secret??   


The answer is:   I pick them!    ..  no big secret here.  I hoe between the rows with my trusty stirrup hoe and pick them out of the rows.  I spend anywhere from 20 minutes to one hour 4 to 5 days a week in my garden and most of that time is spent weeding.  I don’t really know any other way to deal with them (aside from chemicals which I don’t want in my garden)..  I could mulch and I do a little of that, but not enough to keep the weeds under control.  I just try to consistently stay on top of them and get them picked before they take over and are overwhelming.  This is why I have a great tan this summer!  Haa.. haa..   I get exercise, sun and get to be outdoors and I get fresh veggies in the end for all my efforts.  It’s a great package deal.. 


5 comments:

  1. LOVE my stirrup hoe, makes zapping weeds oh so easy!

    Blessings,

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spent more time in my garden this year than I ever had b4 and it does make a huge differance. We did not turn our garden in the fall so I knew that all the " WEED SEED" would be in the garden spot this year and I was right. With the unusual amount of rain for the south it has been easier to keep them in check. I tired to find a stirup hoe at our local TSC but they did not have them. I guess I will check ACE next.

    Thanks for answering my question Crystal !

    Stef

    ReplyDelete
  3. try pouring boiling water on them--it works sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been able to find that kind of hoe around here. But I have a Dutch hoe and love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been following your blog for at least three years, way before I ever started blogging here. I just want to thank you for all your practical knowledge that you post and just the neat things you do as a homemaker. You have totally inspired me in so many ways!!! I am giving you the sisterhood award (I know many others have blessed you with it). Thank you so much for your blog!

    ReplyDelete

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)