Turkey Breast in the Instant Pot


I decided to gently step into this fall season with a meal that had a fall-ish feel to it. I bought a turkey breast, boneless, and cooked it in my Instant Pot. I really could not believe how moist it was. Usually turkey breast is dry (at least to me) and not always my favorite part of the turkey. But a pressure cooked turkey breast is so incredibly moist. It was devoured in no time.

I bought my turkey breast at Costco. It was a Butterball in the frozen section. I started opening it up and thought.. I should take a pic of it in case anyone looks for them. So it is a little wrinkled in picture but it will give you an idea of what it looks like...



The turkey comes with a gravy packet as well. I poured the gravy packet into the IP stainless steel pot and added 1 cup of water. I sprinkled a little salt, pepper and garlic over the turkey and put it in the pot. I left the netting that is on the breast on so it would be easier to remove from the pot. It came off very easily when it was done cooking. I chopped up one small onion and put that in there as well...



I put the lid on and set the top knob to “Sealing”....





I pressed the “Poultry” button (you could also use “Manual”. The other settings have preset times on them but they all pressure cook)..



And adjusted the time for 30 minutes. I will also mention my turkey breast was completely defrosted. When it was done cooking I let the pressure release naturally for about 15 minutes and then turned the knob on the top to “Venting” and finished releasing the pressure.



While my turkey breast was cooking I pulled out some frozen cranberries from the freezer (from last year) and made a ½ batch of my cranberry sauce. My family loves turkey and cranberries together.



Here is what I had when it was done cooking...



I sliced it up and served it!! I thickened the juices in the pot for anyone wanting a little gravy as well over the turkey. I was going to make mashed potatoes but I had leftover macaroni & cheese in my fridge that I wanted eaten up so I served that with it. And I added green beans to complete the meal.




As I said.. it was sooo good and a nice start to this fall season!



Comments

  1. Crystal, What a great post. I also love my instant pot! Tonight I am making a turkey breast for the first time. I was pleased when I found this post. The recipe I am using calls for 3 cups OJ, whole cranberry sauce, and onion soup. Sounds odd and wonderful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your recipe sounds amazing!! I hope it turned out well..

      Delete
  2. Hi, was your turkey breast boneless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the post! Received an Instant Pot as a gift and just happened to have the Costco Butterball Turkey as well! It's cooking as we speak! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I found this post! I wasn't at all sure how to IP my roast. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How big was the roast? I have a 3 lb one that I bought at Publix, but it seems everything is usually bigger at Costco ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've thought of buying an instant pot. Which model do you have? Are you happy with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This lady is probably too busy using her Instant Pot to notice your question, so I'll answer on her behalf. Yes, I LOVE my IP. I bought it about four months ago and have probably used it four to five times a week since. Here's this week's summary: boiled eggs, yogurt, pork chop and rice casserole, quinoi, chicken veggie stew, broccoli/cheese soup and (after yesterday's run to Costco) a turkey breast. The most popular model is the 6 quart Instant Pot Duo. There's an eight quart model which is larger than most of us need and a three quart model, entirely too small to be of real use. Don't go crazy with all the IP accessories on the market or you'll wind up spending more on those than the IP itself. You'll need a steamer basket and silicon gloves from the get-go. After that you can figure out what else you might need. Don't waste your money on any IP cookbooks; Pinterest has everything you need to know and a whole lot more. Shop around for the IP itself; prices are all over the map.

      Delete
  7. I do not have the Instant Pot brand so no Poultry button. I need to cook a turkey breast today -my pot is the Power Quick pot and directions that came with is are not good. Help-what settings as far as Lo, med Hi and how much time? Also how much liquid to add (Broth) - most recipes call for 1 cup ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, this turkey breast was cooked for 30 minutes, at high pressure. I had about 1 1/2 cups liquid in it. I have no experience at all with the Power Quick pressure cooker so I'm not able to help you with what buttons you would need to choose. Maybe try doing a Google search using "Power Quick pressure cooker turkey breast" and see if someone has posted their experiences to help. Crystal

      Delete
    2. Thanks Crystal - now can you help me with making the soup from leftovers that I am making today. I am using frozen noodles, leftover turkey, carrots/celery. I do not have a soup setting so not sure how to do it. I like to be able to taste my soups thru the cooking process to make sure seasoning is OK but I cannot open and close the IP-right? I may just stick with cooking it in a pot on the stove, plus my soup pot is larger than the IP pot so I can make more and freeze leftovers for a lazy day. Thanks for your turkey breast directions-that is how I cooked it and turned out great !

      Delete
    3. You don't need individual settings.. all they are is preset times.. I make soup in my IP all the time. I use the leftover juices from cooking meat and/or veggies and what ever else I want. I figure out the time to cook it based on what I'm putting into the soup.. such as uncooked veggies or pasta. The general rule of thumb when adding pasta is to set your time for half of the time suggested on the package of pasta. I season well before putting the lid on and adjust my seasonings when it's done. With soups I tend to let the pressure come down on its own so I don't end up with soup splattering out of the IP.. 😊 hope this helps.. Crystal

      Delete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub