Creamy Chicken Veggie Soup


This turned out to be so good. What a delicious way to get a lot of vegetables into the diet. But be warned.. this makes a HUGE pot of soup. It ended up almost filling up my 8 quart stock pot. That is a lot of soup. The recipe can easily be cut in half (which is still a lot of soup) and it can be frozen as well. I still make big batches of food because I'm feeding guys, hungry guys that eat a lot! And I like to have my meals last for a couple of days and provide food for the working men in my home to take to work.

The soup is full of yummy veggies. Here are the veggies all cup and the chicken waiting to be cooked...




I did not use chicken stock in this recipe. I started by cooking my chicken meat in the water to give the soup flavor, and then removing the cooked chicken, adding the veggies and letting those cook for a bit. And of course adding salt to bring out the flavors. In the end the broth was perfect (and no MSG, which is a good thing because it bothers my husband). I really need to get some homemade chicken stock made. But when I don't have any on hand, this is a great way to flavor soups.







Creamy Chicken Veggie Soup

3 ½ #'s boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
16 cups water
3 teaspoons salt
3 stalks celery, sliced
2 cups sliced carrots
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut up into bite size pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 4oz can chopped green chilies
1 green or red pepper, chopped
2 cups sliced mushrooms
3 large kale leaves, stem removed, chopped
1t poultry seasoning
a few dashes of hot sauce, optional, we like our soups to have a little bite to them
16 oz cream cheese, softened
2 to 3 cups grated cheddar cheese


In a large stock pot combine chicken and water and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken meat is cooked, about 1 hour. Remove chicken to cool.

Add all vegetables and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until vegetables are cooked, about 30 to 45 minutes.

While veggies are cooking chop/shred cooked chicken meat. When veggies are cooked add chicken. Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir to blend. Taste and add more salt if needed (to taste). Remove from heat and serve. Biscuits or french bread would go perfect with this soup.


Comments

  1. Yummy. That looks so good. Thanks for the recipe. Will be making it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to make it again soon.. after eating for 3 days the family needs a break!! But is delish and will be on my menu again soon.. :)

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious. It's going to be a Rainy day here in PA tomorrow. Guess what's for dinner Crystal? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your chicken soup that I canned last year. It's about time to make some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make more too!! I'm completely out!! :)

      Delete
  4. I made this soup it was delicious! I tweeted it and added more veggies. Thank you Crystal for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you think the soup would taste without the cheese and only the cream cheese? I can't eat dairy but I do have a dairy free cream cheese I could use.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub