My Homeschooling Advice to my Daughter
My daughter Hannah is getting ready to start a little formal homeschooling with my oldest granddaughter. So we had a talk recently about this. I gave her my thoughts and advice. I thought I would share what I told her, perhaps it would be a help to someone….
1. You’ve already been homeschooling, just by living everyday life. Don’t sweat it…
2. When all of you (referring to my children) were 5 I focused on only a few things. Reading every day to you, teaching you to read, math…. because in the end.. knowing how to read and how to think logically (What I feel math is all about), will give them the keys to ANYTHING they want to pursue in life.
3. I taught all of my children to read using “Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons”… maybe it’s not for everyone, but I used it for 8 children, with various learning styles and they all learned to read. It is simple and not stressful for the mother or the child.
4. If she gets to a point in the book that it becomes difficult, put the book on the shelf for a month or so, then go back a few lessons and start again. Stop as often as needed, allow her to do this at her own speed.
5. Math: count the silverware as you put it away, add groups of things… 3 red legos here and 4 blue legos here.. how many do we have altogether? And if I take “this” many away, now how many do we have? Keep it simple, keep it fun
6. all other subjects…. Just read books… lots of books, lots of trips to the library. I use to go to the library with a laundry basket, and the kids would fill it up, and the next week we would bring it back and refill it. No end of the topics we can read about!
7. play with the children
8. take walks and talk
9. bring them into the kitchen and cook with them
10. teach them to fold laundry with you
11. plant a garden (even if it’s just containers on a deck)
12. let them play in the mud
13. play board games with them
14. love them, it covers just about everything else….
Homeschooling is not hard, it is living life and just taking it one step further… and then another step… and another.. before you know it you are making high school transcripts and helping them take the next step in life. Enjoy your babies, love every moment with them, and give them everything you have and more than you thought you had… it will be worth every day and every moment……