Zucchini Pineapple for Canning



I’m still working to use my zucchini up! One thing I have been doing is cutting the zucchini up in large chunks and putting them in zip lock gallon size bags. I plan to use this for making vegetable stock later in the year. I typically use 3 gallon size bags of frozen veggies when I make stock and I will use one bag of frozen zucchini each time I make it. You can find my recipe for veggie stock here: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/ttbveggiebroth.htm 

Yesterday I made up and canned zucchini pineapple. I had an abundance of yellow squash so I used that in the recipe. I found similar recipes online and I tweaked this to utilize what I had on hand. Zucchini pineapple can be used in place of crushed pineapple. I also plan to mix it equal parts with bbq sauce to go over meatballs, meatloaf or chicken. It can also be mixed into fruit salads. Lots of possibilities!

Zucchini Pineapple

8 quarts grated zucchini
1 #10 can pineapple chunks in juice
6 cups sugar
3 cups lemon juice

Combine all ingredients (do not drain pineapple).. heat to a boiling, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Ladle hot mixture into hot pint jars and can in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Use in place of recipes that call for crushed pineapple..



 

Comments

  1. What an interesting recipe! It sounds so good to me. If I can get some zucchini growing, I'd like to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love canning. I love pineapple and zucchini. I can never grow enough to can all at once. I am hoping this fall will yield a high volume of zucchini. Thanks for the pictures. Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. Thanks for sharing it. I also like to grate zucchini and freeze it for zucchini bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your interesting ways to save money and have things more nuturious because you know exactly what goes into them.;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you peel the zucchini before adding the pineapple? it looks so clear with no green from the peel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jana.. no I did not peel it.. as I mentioned in the post I used all yellow summer squash..

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I make it with Zucinni I peel it. It will be nice not to peel the yellow. It will look nice. Did you thing the flavor was any different using the yellow?

    ReplyDelete
  8. what do you eat this with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite use has been mixing it with equal parts bbq sauce for meatballs and roasts, meatloaf and chicken...

      It can be used as you would crushed pineapple..

      Delete
  9. I just canned your zucchini and pineapple it sooo good my husband loves it! had to try it on a pork roast in the crock pot it was also very good! Thank you for all the great canning recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it!! It is one of my favorite ways to use zucchini!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub