Potato Salad

 

I usually make potato salad like my mother did.. mayo, pickle juice, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic, hard boiled eggs, onions, pickles and of course potatoes... never really measure anything. Last night we were grilling some steaks on the bbq and Tobin really wanted potato salad to go with the dinner. But I was completely out of pickles. So I searched online and found a recipe that I modified somewhat and it was delicious!! Tobin and Emily loved it and want me to make it again..   I thought I would share it with you..

 

Potato Salad

4 very large potatoes (I am guessing about 4lbs)

½ to 1 onion, chopped finely

6 hard boiled eggs

salt, to taste

 

 

Dressing

2 eggs, beaten

1/3 cup cane juice crystals

1 ½ t cornstarch

½ cup vinegar

½ cup half in half

1 t prepared yellow mustard

¼ cup butter

1 cup mayonnaise ( I used my homemade mayo and it worked great)

salt & pepper, to taste

 

Wash and cook potatoes. Let cool in fridge. When cool peel and cut potatoes and put in large salad bowl. Add onions, eggs (chop into pieces before adding to the potatoes) and a little salt. Set in fridge.

 

While the potatoes are cooking you can make the dressing. In a sauce pan whisk together the eggs, cane juice crystals, cornstarch and a little salt. Mix in vinegar, half n half and mustard. Cook this mixture over medium heat stirring frequently until it has cooked and thickened, takes about 10 minutes. As soon as it is nice and thick remove the pan from the heat and add the butter.  Stir to melt and mix in the butter. Put this mixture in the refrigerator to get cold.  It must be cooled completely. After it has cooled completely mix in the mayo. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.

 

Mix the dressing with the potatoes. Let sit in fridge a little while to help blend flavors. 

Comments

  1. mmmm!!! Nothing like potato salad! I think I'll make some tonight to go with dinner. That recipe sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog looks great haven't been over for a while..That is how I make my tater salad but do the dressing..I will have to try it..Thanks for sharing..Oh my family all so likes th have taters and eggs with chunks..

    BLessings SIster Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    Long time no see! Here in MA our potato salad is not sweet at all. Interesting sounding though, I am usually a fan of sweet =D

    I'll have to try it!


    Jenn M

    http://oursnapshotlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal that sounds so yummy! Thank you. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub