Sunday on the Homestead


 
We attempted to go to church this morning but the roads were to slushy and snowy so we came home instead. I took my Sunday nap and when I got up Emily had been busy making sugar cookie dough and the boys (Jacob, Isaac and their friend Andy) were busy cutting out Christmas cookies (although some looked a bit more like space aliens then Christmas cookies, ). Now they are decorating them with frosting and sprinkles (with Sierra’s help). Emily was not sure the boys were enjoying this by the way they were acting but I assured her they were very much having fun… but since they were guys they had a reputation to uphold and could not appear ‘to’ into this.. LOL.. 

-


 

My week was nice. Tobin and I went to town one day and then his weekend was kind of cut short by a mandatory FAA class he had to take at work. He had to go into work during the day and had the night off, so it gave us the next day free. We spent the day at home taking care of a lot of little details. We have this running “to-do” list that was getting rather long so it felt good to have a day checking things off the list.

 

Sierra has been baking cookies for us pretty regularly and last week she made a real simple and very yummy drop sugar cookie recipe. Here is the recipe:

 

Super Easy Drop Sugar Cookies
These are easy to make and go great with a cup of hot coffee or tea

 

1 cup cane juice crystals

1 cup powdered Sucanat (powdered sugar will work if you can’t find the powdered Sucanat)

1 cup butter, softened to room temperature

1 cup olive oil

2 eggs

4 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 t salt

1 t cream of tartar

1 t baking soda

1 t vanilla

 

Combine very well with a mixer the cane juice crystals, powdered Sucanat, butter and olive oil. Add eggs and beat well. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Drop dough by small spoonfuls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with a little cane juice crystals if desired. Bake at 375 for 10 to 12 minutes. This recipe will make approximately 5 dozen cookies.

 

 

Now I am going to go and work on some of my Christmas gifts that I am making this year. Hope you all have a blessed Sunday on your homestead! 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Your drop sugar cookie recipe is very similar to the one my Grandmother passed on to me way back when but yours has "healthier" ingredients. I've been hoping to figure out a way to "tweek" mine and you've done the work for me LOL. Thank you! If I may, I'd like to suggest using lemon extract for a yummy flavor. That's the way I grew up eating these.


    Also, I was visiting The Family Homestead and have to say what a wonderful experience it is to visit there. You have a wonderful way with words and reading what you post is like visiting with a good friend. We have much in common with the exception that I'm doing the Urban thing right now. I especially enjoyed your Christmas traditions.


    Thanks for sharing and letting us into your family!


    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal,

    Looks like the kids had a great time...yummy!!

    Thanks for sharing the picture, love it.

    Wishing you all a blessed week.

    Love to you my friend,

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal could you share your Christmas gifts that you are making? You are always so creative and give much needed inspiration! Thanks, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the afghan! Niki's Ventures Blog

    http://www.nikisventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub