Friday on the Homestead

 

I felt very rested when I got up this morning and started my day off running as my feet hit the floor..  ok.. well not quite..  I had to have my coffee first and give myself some wake up time.    While my coffee was sitting in my French press coffee pot steeping I went downstairs and got a fire going to start warming up the house.   


Then I started some laundry and since my grain mill is in the laundry room I also started grinding up 10 cups of wheat (half of what I needed)..  my bucket of wheat was empty and so I went to the freezer to pull out another 50# bag.  The bag had gotten ripped and I had wheat spilling out.  I got a plastic garbage bag and managed to get it around the bag of wheat so I did not loose too much or make a huge mess in the freezer!  AT this point I had hefted and moved around so many huge bags of grain that my back was killing me and decided to wait until Tobin got home to pull that ripped bag out for me (it was at the very bottom of the chest freezer) and finish grinding my wheat later on.  


I went to another freezer and pulled out a beef pot roast and got that started in my crockpot.  While in the kitchen I heated up some milk and got a quart of yogurt going.  I checked the status of my fermenting salsa and it looked great!  I could see bubbles and it has not gotten too cool so by tonight it should be ready to put in the fridge.   


I had about 30 minutes of accounting book work to catch up on and did that next.  Then moved more laundry though and made another cup of coffee.  I spent some time answering emails and doing some writing.   


I had a good chunk of my to-do list done before my hubby even got home from work or the kids were up.   


This afternoon I ground up the rest of my flour, I have 6 loaves of bread baking in the oven right now and have been finishing up the laundry.  I grated up about 4#’s of laundry soap and need to get that bagged up in a day or two. I still need to peel potatoes (or rather give that job to one of the kids) for dinner and think if I want to make some dinner rolls to go with our roast and mashed potatoes.   


My 3 younger kids are finishing their school work up and Emily and Leanne went to town.  Leanne needed to go and see if she passed her GED math test (which she did!! Yea, first test done!) and then the two of them were headed to Starbucks to have some coffee and study time together.  Emily has her pre-calculus math clep test scheduled for Monday.   


On another note:


 


My daughter Leanne loves to write.  She decided to start a blog as an outlet for her writing.  If you would like to check out new blog here is the link:  http://www.homesteadblogger.com/butterflygirl/  I think she is doing a great job with her blog! Her recent entry was on goat cheese and she added a little history lesson.  Writing is her passion and she plans on starting College Plus! soon and working towards an English degree.   


That is all from my homestead today!  Hope you all have a great weekend! 

Comments

  1. I am new to homestead blogger and found you this morning. I am enjoying your blog and will check back often. Thanks for giving so many details in your posts. Very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a homeschool family with 5 children. My oldest is 20 and my youngest is 2. I surf blogs sometimes and when I came across yours I was so excited. You really have the info I am interested in knowing about, with mom friendly chit chat too. My friend and I have used your bread recipes and love them. Please keep posting.


    www.raisingthemartins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub