Making Healthy and Quick Lasagna

 

I am a big advocate of cooking from scratch and keeping it frugal and healthy..  but every now and again I need something quick to put together that does not sacrifice health. I know I will spend a bit more to make it healthy but I also know I am spending much less than if I was to buy take out food for my family and with that added expense there would be no health advantages.  


This is one meal I make that is quick to put together and I have used the healthiest ingredients I could find. 



Here are the basic ingredients:



Healthy & Quick Lasagna



1 lb hamburger
1 onion, chopped
1jar (25oz approx) organic pasta sauce such as the brand Muir Glen
1 container (16oz) organic cultured cottage cheese
8 whole wheat lasagna noodles
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese



Here is how it is made



Begin by gathering together your ingredients


 


Put a frying pan on the stove to heat up. 


 


While it is getting hot, chop up your onion


 


Cook hamburger and onion until hamburger is no longer pink and onion is soft


 


Add pasta sauce and mix well




 


You will need a 13x9 pan to make this in.  Spray the pan with non-stick spray


 


Lay 4 uncooked noodles in the bottom of the pan


 


Spoon half the hamburger/pasta sauce mix over the noodles



 


Spoon half the cottage cheese over the hamburger/pasta sauce mix



 


Now cover with half the cheese


 


Start the process all over again beginning with the uncooked lasagna noodles and using up the rest of the ingredients and ending with the shredded mozzarella.


 


After you have covered the top with the last of the cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese you will need to cover it with foil.  If you want to prevent the cheese from sticking to the foil as it cooks and melts then spray your foil with non-stick spray first and then cover the lasagna.



 


Cook at 350 for about 1 hour.  Pull it out and stab it with a fork to make sure the noodles are soft.  If you need to cook it longer you can put it back in for another 15 minutes.  When the lasagna is done allow to cool for 20 to 30 minutes so it will firm up and be easier to serve.  Then enjoy!! 


 


 


 

Comments

  1. That looks so delicious! It's been quite a while since I've made lasagna. I think I will make it for Sunday's meal.


    love,

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. this will sound corny, but i love the pictures you include with your recipes.


    Penny

    www.homeschoolblogger.com/mylittlesheagang/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds yummy!!! I don't know why I never thought of spraying the foil with Pam to prevent the cheese from cooking! LOL I will try that next time.


    God's Blessings,

    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal,

    I am going to make this...it looks yummy and easy.

    Thanks for posting pictures...step by step. That really helps me.

    Thinking of you all on your beautiful homestead and love ya,

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura of Harvest Lane CottageJune 29, 2008 at 9:35 AM

    Hi Miss Crystal,

    I truly enjoy your blog. I've learned a lot about healthy cooking from you over the years. I especially enjoy your tutorials. I use your breadmaking tutorial and follow the pictures when I use my new Bosch to make bread. Thank you for helping me through this new experience.


    I've nominated you for an award on my blog. Please come by and see.


    God bless you and your family.


    Laura of Harvest Lane

    http://harvestlanecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub