Friday, February 1, 2008

Two Chicken Dinners


 

I had purchased a couple of organic chickens from Costco not long ago. I wanted to make the most of them when I served them, considering what I paid for them! Here was my menu plan for using one of the chickens to feed the 7 us for two different meals.

 

On Monday I put a chicken in the crockpot to slowly cook all day. The recipe was very simple, I called it Hawaiian Chicken:

 

Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken

1 whole chicken, about 4 lbs.

1- 20oz can crushed pineapple

2T Sucanat

2T soy sauce

1T minced garlic

4 or 5 chopped mini peppers (you could use ½ of a green or red pepper)

3T cornstarch

¼ c water

 

Place chicken in crockpot. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Let cook on low for 6 or 7 hours. 

 

I served this meal with brown rice and spooned the sauce from the chicken over the rice. I also added a nice big green salad with homemade ranch dressing. 

 

When the meal was over I removed the rest of the meat from the chicken and put that in the fridge along with the leftover rice. 

 

Two days later I made my next meal with the leftover chicken and rice. It was chicken burritos.

 

Here is what I did….

 

I always buy and have on hand 3 main things from Costco: a bag of mini sweet peppers, a large container of mushrooms and a bag of sweet onions. I can’t believe how many meals can be dressed up with these veggies. 

 

For this meal I first began by chopping up a sweet onion, several peppers and a few mushrooms. I heated up my cast iron frying pan and added a little butter and then tossed in the veggies and let them cook until they were nice and soft and starting to brown…

 

 

Then I put them in a bowl, wiped out my frying pan, heated it up again and added a little more butter. I put in my leftover chicken that I had chopped up and about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of brown rice (this amount could vary a lot depending on how many people you are serving). I cooked this until it was nice and hot and then added about a 1/2 cup of salsa. I let this heat up a little more and then put it into a serving dish.

 

 

For the rest of the meal I pulled out shredded cheddar cheese and whole wheat tortillas so everyone could fill their own burrito. I served extra salsa on the side and added another big green salad to the meal and it was a huge hit with the family. They ate every bit of it! 


 

I was glad to have been able to turn this one 4lb chicken into two meals for my family. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice chicken recipes & what an adorable puppy. We have a black Lab named Molly. she came with that name & we kept it. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. These chicken recipes sound and looks so delicious, Crystal! I will be giving them a try soon.

    Hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious!!! Thanks for sharing!


    God's Blessings,

    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you buy WW tortillas. Have you looked into the Villaware tortilla maker? http://www.amazon.com/VillaWare-V5955-Grand-Tortilla-Flatbread/dp/B00005R85X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1202336398&sr=8-1

    DH bought me one and it makes HM tortillas quickly and easily. My DH will even eat WW tortillas which he didn't like before.

    Love

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)